2016 Edge engine design flaw

Seems to be some antipathy about that vehcle … What make/model/year/engine was it and what sort of problem sdid you have? Newer Fords seem to g et some complaints here about the entertainment and display console gadgets, and Fords of the 1990’s seemed to have some difficult to diagnose problems with the EGR and emissions systems. Some Fords in past (perhpas still do) used a dual-clutch automatic transmission that wasn’t meeting the some of the poster’s here expectation. Problems w/dual clutch automatics don’t seem to be limited to Fords tho. What else? …hmm … Was it Ford that had that fuel injection spider gadget? If so, that seems to have caused some Ford owners grief as well.

My 50 year old Ford truck was made before all those complicated gadgets muddied the works, and has proved pretty reliable over the years. . Good thing too, b/c my other car, 30 year old Corolla, forced of the road due to Covid safety concerns. Truck is sole daily driver now.

2011 Ford Edge bought new from day one console panel never worked properly,Battery saver message on all the time replaced four batteries,Door ajar switch replaced three times once Ford payed other two times they refused.windshield wiper motor front and rear replaced with only 50,000 miles on car.Car died doing 50 miles an hour some kind of module replaced. Why would I ever think of buying another Ford,

I’m done as well. Rented a BMW X1, the smallest of their SUV line. Loved it, will keep looking.

The manual does state 100k miles on a coolant change. It also states 6 years and if the 2016 model had an in service date back in 2015 then it’s been 7 years. If the in service date is 2016 then it has been 6 years. It also states after the initial change every 3 years or 5k miles.

I’ve driven Fords primarily for a quarter century with no major issues at all. My current Lincoln has almost 300k miles and still never needs any oil added between changes. The prior Lincoln was the same at 250k miles but unfortunately lost its life due to a red light running Dodge truck.
The Mercury before that one had 410k miles on it when I got ride of it; mainly due to sheer boredom; and that engine still carried 160 PSI of compression on all cylinders.

With complaints it’s been my experience that unknown little nuances can make a difference in the story.

3 Likes

Thanks for explanation. Many of those problems are due to the increased complexity most modern cars have these days, and if you search this forum (link upper right, this page) you’ll see a host of similar complaints for most makes/models. Especially about the info/entertainment/and control panel consoles. One poster here has been battling a control panel/display problem on a newly purchased car (Honda Accord as I recall) for quite some time, don’t know if that has ever been resolved. Driver’s door switch is pretty common complaint here. Fortunately that is usually a simple fix. Windshield wiper motors, not a very common complaint, you may have just go unlucky on that one . My 50 year old Ford still has original WW motor. Powertrain control module and the gadgets it interfaces with, errors and failures, pretty common on most newer car makes. I don’t expect the issues you experienced is w/Ford so much as with newer cars. Do you now own another make of newer car that seems to be more reliable? If so, let us know what it is … we’re all looking for it! … lol …

1 Like

My take is many of those issues can be traced to outsourcing parts to less than reliable vendors. Plus limited quality control testing of the parts. Just get it out the door. We’ll worry about failures later. When you have 40,000 units already stored for parts, are losing money like crazy, total quality management is not the first thing on the minds of the production managers.

Of course all without evidence as they say, but the tell tale signs are there. For myself, I am afraid of the current stock of fords. Also afraid of other brands right now.

1 Like

Re: Driver’s door switch … I’ve never had to purchase a microwave oven in the past 30 years. If mine fails, problem is usually a faulty door switch, easily repaired. Second in line, micro-wave tube has failed, not easily repaired. However if the latter, I find another microwave oven on one of the neighbor’s curbs, intending to be thrown away. Usually the problem is the door switch … lol …

One caution: Don’t open the electronic part of a microwave oven if you don’t know how. Very high voltages possible, even if not plugged in.

I purchased Subaru Legacy premium no problems 4 years and 45000 miles.

1 Like

Can you tell me what that has to do with the topic under discussion?

1 Like

George is conducting a Ford customer satisfaction survey, Berry was unhappy with his Ford Edge.

And thi has what to do with a subaru?

The Subaru replaced the Ford, scroll back a few posts.

Before long the regulars will be discussing lawn mower oil.

3 Likes

Lol, thanks

:joy: Too funny!