2016 Edge engine design flaw

Ford knowingly sold me a new Edge with a faulty engine design. Other years and several models have same problem. No recall, just waiting for engines to fail. Car in shop since August, over 6k in rentals, waiting for torque converter. :face_with_spiral_eyes: Anyone else? Class action in progress.

With all due respect, I have to wonder about three things.

How many miles are on the odometer?
If the engineā€™s design is truly defective, why did it take 6 years for the problem to become obvious?
If it needs a new torque converter, then apparently your vehicle has transmission problems as well as engine problems? Yikes!

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t it be cheaper to buy a used car while yours is sitting waiting for parts and then sell it after? Or talk to the dealer about taking your vehicle in trade right away instead of waiting 3 months for parts?

1 Like

Yep itā€™s always a defective product, because you knowā€¦. Nothing ever breaks, and there is never a part that need to be back ordered. In case the OP hasnā€™t noticed there is a parts shortage for damn near everything. But keep complaining, someone may listen, but it wonā€™t be me.

1 Like

I noticed this as well. What is the actual problem you are experiencing with this car? And why are you wasting money on rentals, when you could have bought a running, drivable used car for half that amountā€¦and resold it when you no longer need it.

1 Like

Ford acknowledged the engine design flaw. Coolant leaks into the valves. Theyā€™re covering 80% of repair, the balance is on us. Got a brand new, fully warrantied engine. Trans fine, the torque converter goes from engine to transmission, according to the terrific service manager at my dealership.

54k miles.

Fordā€™s covering 80% of a fully warrantied new engine. The sarcasm is duly noted.

Son bought an escape. Oops. Running funny. No coolant. New motor. Car max gave him more then he paid. Had it for 2 months?

The torque converter provides the power drive into the transmission. It has nothing to do with the engine coolant or engine itself. The class action on flex plates (converter is attached to that) was thrown out of court.

I doubt very seriously Ford ā€œknowinglyā€ sold you a vehicle with a faulty engine design. Sometimes crap happens and sometimes those problems can be inflicted or exacerbated by the car owners; as in overheating episodes, etc.
Ford recommends a coolant change approx. every 30k miles so that brings up the question of whether or not you ever had this done?

2 Likes

Did everything by the book, dealership serviced from day one. I actually have photographs from inside the engine, showing the issue. Ford wouldnā€™t be coughing up nearly 8k if they werenā€™t at fault.

Letā€™s be clear, the converter is part of the transmission not the engine. But yeah there has been a supply chain problem for several years, still unfolding, especially for parts that are not domestic. Some of us are being super easy on our cars to try and minimize needing an unavailable part.

Bing, did you see the photos of the defective engine design? Stop blaming the wrong person, people. I baby every vehicle I own.

Iā€™m not an engineer so couldnā€™t tell a defective engine design if I saw it. The note was that the torque converter is part of the transmission, though and no relation to engine design.

2 Likes

Photo appears to be working side of cylinder head. Markings (ovals) indicate the design change is where neighboring cylinders are nearest to each other. Photos arenā€™t showing exactly the same perspective, plus older photo is from used engine, newer from unused engine, so a little hard to tell the actual differences; but it appears the new design may have thicker walls, and perhaps some sort of a surface-to-gasket difference between neighboring cylinders.

Ford engineers of course know how to design engines, but in trying to optimize the design for lighter weight, less space in engine compartment, sometimes common sense doesnā€™t prevail. The designs of course are tested, but even if owner follows the maintenance requirements exactly, impossible to test for 6 years of use.

One common mistake owners make btw is using the wrong maintenance schedule. Most owners should use the ā€œsevereā€ schedule, b/c they do a lot of short drives in their car, take kids to soccer practice, buy groceries, etc, rather than mostly long freeway drives. I often see my neighbors leave, come back 15 minutes later, their normal drive cycle. If that is what is needed for family use for the car, ok, but that sort of drive-cycle is very hard on a car engine, requiring the severe-maintenance schedule.

When you purchased your Edge, what did Consumer Reports say about it, based on prior model-year repair history?

As a reference point, I own a 50 year old Ford truck, original engine.

2 Likes

As a non mechanic, non engineer, business guy, it looks to me that they beefed it up?

First of all, the photo is of the engine block, and shows the mating surface, which is an open-deck design. This is much more difficult to seal than a closed-deck design, and at turbocharged combustion pressures, more so. Adding the cut between the ā€œsiamesedā€ cylinders allows the cylinders to move slightly, which will wear down the head gasket over time, resulting in coolant leakage into the cylinders.

Whenever I am thinking about buying a used car, I always go online and try to find a picture of the head gasket(s) used in that model, and of the engine block itself to see if itā€™s a closed-deck design or not. If not, Iā€™d pass, period.

There are other engines that share this open deck design, Subaru and Nissan to name two. They also have a history with head gasket failures.

1 Like

For a novice can you expand on what the open and closed deck looks like? Do you mean the water jackets next to the cylinders? Just asking fmob (I made up text talk for my own benefit). :smile: