2015 Hyundai Elantra SE latch releases

For those who have followed my previous post, I stopped trying to fix my 2002 Honda Odyssey and bought a 2015 Hyundai Elantra. Everything about the Hyundai is fine, except the parallel latch releases on the floor to the left of the driver’s seat - the trunk release & the gas cap release. The gas cap doesn’t release unless I “snap” it (pull the lever up, then let it snap back, then pull it up again). The trunk release works fine (although there’s side-to-side give), but the trunk often opens on its own - even when I’m nowhere near the car (neighbors have come to the house many times pointing it out). I always check the trunk when I leave the car, but even though it’s always securely closed & locked, it often simply pops open later. Sometimes it even opens while I’m driving.

Any ideas, experience or knowledge of this dual defect would be appreciated - especially with a fix to try or check. Thanks in advance, folks.

Tester

Thanks very much for your information, Tester! This class action doesn’t seem to apply to my car, though. It’s for Sonatas, not Elantras, and it complains about the reverse problem to mine: they claim the trunk doesn’t open when it’s supposed to - or as far open as it claims - but my issue is that it opens on its own, even when I’m nowhere near the car.

My mechanic feels that the lever has too much lateral give, which may be an indicator of the problem. Any other ideas or information?

Need I say more?

Tester