2013 Mustang - Does ABS module need to be reprogrammedf?

Does anyone know if an ABS module needs to be reprogrammed after being installed on a 2013 Mustang GT?

I’ve read mixed things some people say it does need to be reprogrammed because it’s VIN specific and they need to link it to your vehicle and other people say it’s plug and play and will relearn itself. Which one is it?

And if it’s the former, would a regular mechanic shop have the ability to reprogram it or can that only be done through a dealership?

Tester

1 Like

Yes, it must be programmed to your VIN before it will function.
Any shop can do this provided they have the correct scan tool for programming.

1 Like

Yep, you have to handshake the module to the car. Introduce it to the other modules.

1 Like

At 1:50 when he puts in the 4 digit code how do I obtain this code? mechanic and i are currently stuck on this step.

HELP at 1:50 when he has to enter the 4 digit code how do I get this code? Currently at mechanics stuck on this step

First go here:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Put in your VIN and submit. You will get a print-out with a bunch of numbers.

Notice when the program asks for a 4 digit code, in the upper left corner there is a number - 760-01-01

The last line on your “As Built” sheet starts with 760-01-01 followed by a 4 digit number. THAT is what you put in when it asks for this.

3 Likes

I’m still having trouble…i made a video showing exactly what i’m doing, maybe doing something wrong but I don’t think so…any help is appreciated. After it says “unsuccessful” I am returned to the home screen with no prompt for the scanner to use wifi to look for the old data like in the video

Where did the new ABS module come from? New? Used?

Used. But came off another 2013 mustang. Brand new ones are on backorder pretty much indefinitely… Might just have to take it to the stealership this time

lol … diy’er car repair seems pretty weird now, compared to back in the 1960’s when I first started fixing my 62 Ford Galaxy … lol … never needed to introduce modules to the others then. As long as the socket fit the bolt, done. Of course emergency braking not as good either, life’s a compromise.

I’d suggest that used one is bad. I’ll look at my manual to see if I can find what it means if it won’t program. I replaced the valve body in my transmission. The PCM would not program and had to be replaced.

Replaced the PCM? Or the valve body?

Both! The problem was a bad speed sensor. The only way to get that is part of an assembly. The only way to get the assembly was to buy a valve body assembly. THEN the PCM refused to accept the calibrations of the new valve body so it was replaced, too.

1 Like

Before with the old ABS module in the brake light and ABS light were on. Now after I installed the new one the brake light is off an the ABS light is blinking instead of solid so this makes me believe the new (used) module is fine.

The scanner also said that the old data from the old module needs to be copied for the new one to work probably.

The dealership diagnosed “no communication from abs module to PCM”. But recommended replacing the ABS module to fix the problem…So how do I copy the old data over from the old ABS module if it’s gone bad and won’t communicate at all when it’s plugged in?

You can’t. The comm issue needs to be fixed. If it is the CAN wires themselves, that can be fixed if you find the break. If the problem is internal to the abs.

Did the dealer diagnose that lack of connection with the old abs unit, or the one you just installed?

Sort of curious why any data at all would have to be copied from the old ABS module to new one. How did the old ABS module get this data in the first place? It seems like however that occurred, the new ABS module could do the same thing.

The ford dealership diagnosed the problem as a bad ABS module (old unit not new unit) with no communication from the old ABS to the PCM. They said the fix is to have the ABS module itself be replaced. New ABS modules were on backorder so I ordered a used one.

The fact that now the brake light went off and the ABS light flashes instead of solid, now that the new (used) module is installed tells me that the wiring is good because now the lights behave differently with the new ABS module installed. If the wiring or a connection was bad wouldn’t the lights have stayed the same as before when the new module was put in?

So that still begs the previous question…but in the video the guy selected the option that the old ABS module wasn’t present and was somehow able to find the old data without plugging the old one in.

I told you how to find the “data” and your video showed you did that. The data is the build code for the abs module in your car. The 760-01-01 address and the build code that goes with that address. It tells the abs module how it needs to work with your car.

So the data in question from the old ABS module is just the car’s configuration, encoded into a 4 digit number? Not something the old ABS module learned after it was installed? If so, since OP has now found that 4 digit number using another method, there’s no need to communicate & gather info from the old ABS module. So the question is: why isn’t the replacement module working?

1 Like