2009 Hyundai Sonata - TPMS

TMPS light -not the horse shoe symbol- came on several times, even when tires were 35-37 not low . I was due for new tires, so I got new ones. The sensors & air pressure checked out fine each time I had it checked at America’s tire. I see the Hyundai - Technical Service Bulletin 08-SS-010 - TPMS (TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM) SENSOR MODE SETTING link but link does not work. Any advice if it is a known problem?

12 year old sensors, their batteries are probably dying, time for new sensors.

1 Like

Did your shop have the correct tool—the exciter scan tool?

Tire pressure sensor initiation

NOTE: In the following procedure, a TPMS exciter scan tool must be used.

NOTE: When four sensors have been learned as road wheels, it is not possible to learn new road wheel sensors on the same ignition cycle.

NOTE: Do not perform this procedure if the vehicle is parked on a metal floor, roof or on an alignment rack or lift. The metal will transfer the RF signals, which can cause the learn procedure to fail and set diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs).

NOTE: The sensor’s default state will be Storage Auto (High Line).

1. Using TPMS exciter, change the sensor mode to Normal Fixed Base (Low Line). See Figure 1.

NOTE: Sensors which were already configured as Base (Low Line) will take longer to read.

1. Holding the TPMS exciter within three inches (76 mm) of the sensor valve, read each tire pressure sensor ID in the following order: front left, front right, rear left, then rear right.

2. Connect the TPMS exciter to Data Link Connector (DLC) located under left side of instrument panel. Register the four sensor IDs to the receiver (see Figure 2 and Figure 3).

NOTE: The TPMS receiver will complete the learn procedure of the new sensor after the vehicle is driven up to 20 minutes at speeds over 12 mph (20 KM/H).

1. Cycle Ignition, wait four minutes and check that “NORMAL RECEIVER STATE” is now displayed.