Tire pressure sensor fault

2009 Ford Explorer, 6cyl, 4L, 33K miles. When its started up, the message “Tire Sensor Fault” appears along with the low tire icon flashing (steady light after ~30 seconds). I can then press the reset button on my dash to clear the message. However, the tire light icon stays lit. I’ve checked and re-checked the tire pressure in all the tires (spare included) and I’m right at the recomended 32-34 psi on all the tires. No signs of leaks at all. I’m assuming one (or more) of the tire pressure sensors have gone bad and there’s no way for a garage (or myself) to identify which one or repair this. Should I assume a trip to the dreaded dealer for this problem ???

Actually, a lot of tire shops do have sensor readers and can locate the faulty sensor. The TPMS systems have been around a little while, and these guys have to deal with them every time they put on a new set of tires with cars equipped. The standard procedure is to change the batteries or units so that the TPMS system continues to work. And, it will cost them big to continue to chase TPMS problems after putting on new tires if they don’t have a sensor reader.

Continue to check your own tires with a gauge. You can spend a lot of money trying to get these things to work as they should, only to find a year or so later, you’re back to the same problem. The mandate is that cars have them. Unless inspections require they work( and they haven’t where I live yet) kiss them off as a pain in the buttocks. Learn to live with the light on and a tire gauge and air pump as we all should…I have.

There are actually 4 vehicles in our family that have the TPMS system and I’ve had no issues with the others - this is the first. The light is irritating to me and I realize that checking the tire pressure, as I do, really makes the light a mute point. I do business with a local tire shop in the area so I’ll give them a call. Thanks

Well your tires might be 1 or 2 pounds low. Lately when it got down to 15 or 17 degrees, my low tire light came on, but I figured it was due to the cold and went ahead and drove it. The light went out shortly and the next day it was warmer so the light didn’t come on.

Yeah; I bought a snow tire and wheel package from a Big Internet Tire Retailer and when all 4 sensors died a couple of winters later, found out that the sensors are only warranted for 1 year. Doesn’t make a lot off sense for tires I only use a few months a year.Of course, that’s true for summer tires also.

Dude, you just revived a 13 month old thread

Start your own

@cdaquila

Let’s put this thread to rest, please

@db469, who?!?!

@BustedKnuckles

If you’ll please look, the last comment was made on December 2012

And some guy revived it this morning

@cdaquila

This thread needs to be killed, please

Before it gets a second life . . .