TPMS Sensor issues!

I had two new front tires installed on my Sienna and now both sensors, I’m told need replacing. One was in pieces when it was shown to me and the other, they said is asleep and they do not know how to “wake it up”? What are the chances that the very two tires replaced now have sensor issues where as I had no indicator light issues BEFORE the tire removal? Any suggestions also would be welcome.

So, you had two new tires installed. Then you drove away, and…what? The TPMS light came on? How long after the new tires were put on?

So you went back to the shop, and they took both tires off, and found one sensor in pieces, and the other sensor intact but “asleep?”

What year Sienna? 2006 and earlier used ABS for the TPMS. I believe the principle was an underinflated tire would rotate at a different speed than the other tires. There is a TPMS reset button on the dash.

2007 and later used individual sensors at each wheel. I’m assuming the reset procedure is in the owner’s manual. Was this a dealer or an independent tire place? I would think they should be responsible for damages to the sensors.

Ed B.

The indicaator light remained off till I arrived home about 4 blocks away. The next morning my wife and I went on a day trip, soon after our drive began the light began blinking for about a full minute then a solid light. This occured until I came back in town and notified the company. Here is the actual order of events: About a week before, my wife rubbed the side wall of a Hydroedge Michellin tire on the right side. I have been in tires for years and now retired and before the TPMS era. The side wall told me to replace the tire. These were the orginal tires and had NEVER been removed. I ordered two new Hydroedges but due to a national back order I had to wait. I went to a repuable tire shop near by and had install a good used 215 R65 16 tire until the two new ones arrived a week later. This was the right front wheel. When the tire was broke from the rim, they called me into the shop to show me the sensor. It had the housing cracked off it and you could see the raw electronics exposed. The tire had NEVER gone flat and the sensor had NEVER come on up too the mounting of the used tire. They told me the sensor must have been damaged during the “rub” of the curb. I did some research and was informed that when ever a tire with sensors is removed, the sensor should be dropped first. When they showed me the sensor, it was still mounted in the rim. ANyway, the owner fessed up and offered to but a new sensor for me and when my new tires arrived (from a different company) he would only charge me for the mounting and balance. He would install the sensor and program it for free. This he did. The indicator light remained off for about a day and a half. I called them and they checked it now telling me the LEFT wheel sensor had gone to sleep and they did not know how to wake it up. He is going to order a new sensor (charge me for the part) install it and remount the tire (charge me) and reprogram it for free. This is the entire history. I have owned the car only a few months and had not had a problem with this indicator until the two tire were removed. Thanks for your assistance. ehs

I am not sure if you received my last posting to your reply but what I said was in case you didn’t receive it is this. The minivan is a 2007 with independant sensors in each wheel. The reset button has not resolved the issue even though the tire pressure is checked and rechecked. They have been responsible for the most part but my main concern is this, I have read that Toyota’s are difficult to reprogram and it should be done at a dealer verses an independant shop. I do not want to go through this process many times even though the local owner is reprogramming for free. If I continue to have a programing problem it will be very frustrating. I am even thinking of buying my won reprograming tool and doing it myself. Oh well that is the situation. THanks for your asistance. ehs

Take your car to a different tire shop, and ask them if they have the proper tools to set all the sensors to your car.

They might simply need to pull the id’s from each wheel, remove all the id’s in the van’s memory, and write in all the current id’s. After that, everything will be fine. If your current shop doesn’t have the equipment to do this very easy task, then you need to find a new shop, that is willing to invest in the latest equipment, instead of shoveling more profit into the owner’s pockets.

BC.

Thanks for the advice! ehs