2014 Hyundai Sonata Tire Pressure monitoring system

I have a 2014 Hyundai Sonata that is giving me a “Low Tire Pressure” warning. I have checked the air pressure in all of the tires and I still get the error. Does anyone have any idea how I can find the tire pressure that is giving me the error?

1 Like

Does your car have a full-size spare tire?
If so, then there is a pressure monitor on that tire, just like on the other 4 tires.
All too often, people forget about checking the pressure in their spare tire.

No it does not. It’s a compact spare.

Look in your manual for tire pressure monitor reset.

Are you checking the pressures in the morning?

Are you using a high quality digital gauge?

If you’re checking it in the afternoon, after several miles of driving, and it’s perfect, it will be several psi lower in the cold morning, enough to meet the criteria for turning on the tpms warning

You’re getting the yellow warning, not the red warning, correct?

And the tpms symbol isn’t flashing, is it?

A Hyundai scan tool can probably figure that out straight away. Quickest solution, find a shop w/that tool.

Other ideas if you don’t want to use the suggested shop route above …

• Double check the air pressures in all four tires, maybe pump up a tires a couple extra pounds beyond the nominal pressure you use to see if that turns the light off.

• And check the air pressure in the compact spare too.

• Try swapping the tires around in various configurations, see if that does anything to help.

• The connection between the tire pressure monitor and the gadget inside the car that reads it is usually by radio frequency. It’s conceivable there some rf transmitter in the area you park or drive your car , or inside the car itself, that is interfering with the signal for some reason. See if this goes away when you drive in other places, park in other places, or turn off your cell phone while in the car, etc.

All good ideas. I’m unfamiliar with Hyundai’s system, but my own car has two “reset” functions for the TPMS system. One is to just erase the warning when a flat is repaired without establishing new baselines. The second is call “initialization” and is used to reset the baselines against which the system monitors the tires. The two are, oddly, in different sections of the owners’ manual. The “initialization” function allows the owner to set the system to pressures other than those recommended by the manufacturer… the wisdom of being able to do so might be debatable, but that’s the way the system is designed.

Again, I don’t know your system, but you might want to read it carefully and thoroughly to see if yours has a similar plan.

1 Like

First, did you try to check the pressure of the tires when they are cold?

1 Like

If it happened recently, cold air may be the cause. The above comments about trying reset after checking for proper inflation are spot on. I would also validate my gauge if I had this situation by using another one I know to be good (or by viewing the PSI on the information screen in the car if it has that feature). Since it is so new, the dealer should be able to fix the problem at no charge also. Call ahead. They may have a tip.

1 Like

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have learned the following:

1. There is no reset for the TPMS on a 2014 Hyundai Sonata.
  2. A image of the car appears on the instrument panel that indicates what tire is causing the problem.
  3. I was getting a “Left Front” low pressure indication.
  4. I pumped the tire up to 35 PSI and the error went away on it’s own.
  5. And this is the most important. Nowhere in the owner’s manual does it tell you this. But this is understandable because the manual is obviously written by someone whose primary language is not English.

Live and learn. Except for minor issues such as this, this vehicle is a terrific car and very reliable. My wife and I love it.

1 Like

I pumped the tire up to 35 PSI and the error went away on it’s own.

That is not a solution. What did you do next? Did you pump all the tires up to 35? That is high and may cause handling problems.

Maybe if the OP now lowers the pressure to match the other tires & consistent with the pressure recommended for this car, the light will stay off. If it turns back on, that tire sensor is probably out of whack. Or the pressure gauge the OP is using to inflate is out of whack.

Recommended tire pressure is 34 PSI. Yes I checked the others and they were in that range.

1 Like

I beg to disagree.
Inflating one’s tires to 1, or 2, or 3, or 4 lbs over the manufacturer’s recommended tire pressure is not likely to produce any bad effects, other than a slightly harder ride.

Grossly overinflating tires will produce excessive wear in the center of the tread, and can result in oversteer and less traction, but this very slight increase in pressure will not be problematic.

VDC: You are correct. I was thinking of higher numbers, such as 40. Still, you should match the tires L-R.

I guess I was assuming, from the statement, that 35 was way over recommended for that car.

I keep mine about 2 over recommended. Partly for economy, but mostly to have some leeway for low temperatures.

1 Like