2008 Mazda MazdaSpeed Miata MX-5 - What is this cable?

What’s the cable in the glove box with an old ipod connector. How to use?

Probably an aftermarket iPod connection that a previous owner installed.

2 Likes

Only one owner…he did not install… googling it says it’s factory…but vage on how to make it work

If there are no instuctions in your owners manual maybe someone at the Mazda dealer might now or a Miata Forum .

2 Likes

I don’t think the Tech at mazda knew what an ipod connector was. Some of the fourms talk about this but they don’t state how to exactly make it work

I would think you would plug in your iPod, turn it on and go to AUX on your radio. then find your song and will come out the radio speakers.

5 Likes

Is it the old 30-poin connector? Pretty useless these days unless one has an ancient iPhone, iPad, or iPod.

Bought this it plugs into cable and powers up and I can connect phone thru blue tooth…but can’t make it play thru car stereo

It is probably because your radio would need to have Bluetooth to communicate with the device.

Doesn’t the 30 pin ipod cable connect to radio…I’m sure it does… if the radio had bt I wouldn’t need any cables

That cable might be connected to a module that is connected to the antenna cable. Search the FM stations for selection that is receiving the iPod signal.

I could be wrong but, the cable is just a cable. it is giving power to the unit you bought but if the radio does not have Bluetooth how would it communicate? it is like if your house has Wi-Fi, and you have an old TV without Wi-Fi. it won’t get a picture. just my thoughts. others here might know better than me so I will step aside. best of luck

I found this. watch video it might help

Okay, there must be an input setting on the head unit. The cable is clearly connected if it powers up the Bluetooth adapter. Search online for the owner’s manual.

Scoured the owners manual and online. Got some vague info online. Was hoping someone here could help…

Sounds like it is time to let a good auto sound shop solve this problem. They might even bring it up to current standards for a reasonable fee.

One shop recommended a new system for $900

If you are at all handy and decide to replace the head unit, go to Crutchfield.com for alternatives. They have everything you need to do a relatively easy installation.

Is there a button labeled “MEDIA”? That would appear to be the selection to use.

What else did they say ? Such as the system is out of date or just not working .