2007 Dodge Ram 1500 steering problems

We own a 2007 Ram 1500 (4.7L) I have found if I turn this vehicle in a hard right turn, all the way to lock, the steering does not try to return to center. If you don’t pull it back it will just go around in a circle. I only get this coming out of my driveway where it will head for the ditch. Truck has 61,000 miles, new right tie rod end and alignment 6,000 miles ago. Your thoughts before I take it to the dealer would be nice.

This is what we like to call memory steer, most times it can be related to a bad ball joint in the front end.
Memory steer is the term used to describe a vehicle that continues to pull to the left or right after completing a turn in that same direction. A steering wheel is supposed to assist the driver and help return the wheel to center after a turn. This could be caused by an improperly installed front end part or a binding steering component.

Strut mount
Worn and binding bearings in the strut towers result in memory steer. It’s also possible that the spring plate is worn causing this condition. Always use care when compressing strut springs while replacing these parts.

Binding front end linkage will cause this problem. Check the tie rod ends, idler arm, and other linkage for binding. Be careful when installing these parts because some vehicles require the wheels to be straight on the final torque. If the wheel is turned, the tie rod will act as a spring returning it to the turned position. Binding ball joints will also cause memory steer. Check all your pivot points in the front end. Worn front end parts and lack of lubrication can also cause this condition.

An unbalanced power steering rack can cause memory steer. Pressure may be bleeding off from one side, causing the vehicle to pull and display memory steer. Also look for a worn, overadjusted, or an underadjusted sector shaft in the gear box.