2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Change of alternator - Hard or not?

Is it hard to change the alternator on a 2006 pt cruiser ?

I bet there’s a video on Youtube, see if it’s hard to you.

Videos can be helpful or misleading, so I watch several and cull. A Haynes Manual for your car is very worthwhile - read through the basic info and precautions, then the alternator procedure, then decide if it’s for you.

If there’s an auto electric shop near you, they can probably test and repair your alternator or give expert advice on your best course of action.

I’m not actually a fan of Haynes (well, except for the Starship Enterprise one, of course). Not big on Chilton’s either - they’re OK, but they can be annoyingly non-specific in places that need specificity, and they can sometimes have information that’s just plain wrong.

It’s always better to get a copy of the Factory Service Manual. That’s written in conjunction with the guys who actually make the car (Haynes/Chilton’s buy a car and take it apart to see how it works - they don’t collaborate with the factory). It’s aimed at the guy who needs to know everything about fixing the car, so it’s gonna be really thick and really dense, but anything you need to do to your car is covered, correctly, by it.

3 Likes

This is a tricky one, as the alternator must be removed from below and if i’m not mistaken the drive axle has to be removed to make the clearance to drop the alternator out.

Yosemite

1 Like

On the 2.4L non-turbo, it’s a bit of a job. But not that bad, only 2 hours from what I see. That’s with a lift, may require considerably more time if a driveway diy’er job.

Mostly routine from what I see, except that you must remove the lower control arm from steering knuckle, then the axle shaft, and deal w/the subsequent leaking trans fluid.

Yeah it depends on where it is and if you can easily get the serpentine belt off and back on again. Sounds like this needs to be on a lift for easy access. On my Buick it was a ten minute job even in a parking lot. Right on top. On my Olds though, it was from underneath so the shop did it.

If you plan on doing your own repairs, you need up-to-date information.

https://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

Tester