Alternator removal

What is correct procedure for removal of alternator and then replacing alternator and serpentine belt on 2000 chevrolet 1500 pickup with v8 engine?

If it’s a 5.3L (and most other GM V8s): Disconnect the neg. battery cable. If you have the Theftlock audio system, be sure the lockout feature is turned off. (Refer to your owners manual for the procedure)

Remove the drivebelt. (Relieve pressure from the belt by using a ratchet or power bar and move the tension pulley back)

Disconnect the output wire and the electrical connector from the alternator.

Remove the mounting bolts and remove the alternator from the engine.

** If replacing the alternator with a new one, take the old one with you when purchasing a replacement unit.
Make sure the new/rebuilt unit looks identical to the old one.
Look at the terminals - they should be the same in number, size and location as the terminals on the old alternator.
Finally, look at the identification numbers-they will be stamped into the housing. Make sure the numbers are the same on both alternators.

Many new alternators do not have the pulley installed so you may have to switch the pulley to the new unit.
(Some shops (where you buy the new/rebuilt unit) will do this free of charge)

Installation is the reverse of removal.

Tighten the bolts to the correct torque value (both mounting bolts…37 ftlbs)
Install the drivebelt. (If replacing the belt, follow the routing diagram sticker on the engine or in the owners manual)

Lastly, check the charging voltage to verify the proper operation of the new unit.

RRunner, IMHO you missed the single most important step:
pick up a repair manual at the local parts store.

You want to save the $18 for a Haynes, or Chilton’s, repair manual, don’t you? If you were using the repair manual, you might find that you don’t need to change the alternator. I said, Might". Wouldn’t that be funny?

Mb, I took those instructions directly out of my Haynes repair manual for my 2002 Tahoe 5.3L V8.

Haynes repair manual #24066
It covers all Silverado and Sierra trucks 1999 through 2005 2wd & 4wd
Plus: Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, Yukon xl, Sierra Denali, and Yukon Denali (2000 through 2005 and Chev Avalanche (2002 through 2005)

Not trying to be a smartass, just letting you know what’s in the book.

Hellokit,

‘Might’, is a bit like ‘If’.

The Haynes or Chilton repair manual doesn’t tell you whether or not you need to change the alternator, only the process of how to.

Of course they don’t want to spend $18 to $20. That’s why they ask questions on the forum.