2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, Drivers window stopped working

I have a 2003 Grand Marquis and recently the drivers window stopped working. The last time I recall trying to use it and getting some response was around a week ago to check and see if my window was frozen shut.

When the headlights are on, all of my window controls light up except for the drivers window. When the button is depressed to raise the window I feel a slight vibration through the floor.

I’m a complete novice when it comes to car repair, but is this something I could potentially fix myself? Or how much would I be looking at to get this fixed otherwise?

They make repair kits for the power window regulators…A set of new plastic gears to replace the stripped/worn parts…Step one is to remove the inner door panel to gain access to the window mechanism. As the fasteners are hidden, this can be a little tricky… The repair kit costs $20-$25 and a skilled mechanic can do it in an hour. So figure $150 or so…

I had a similar problem with my 2005, in that the driver’s window was kaput. I traced the problem to the switch in the door. The dealer wanted $130 for a switch assembly (plus labor, if they were going to install it.) I took apart the assembly and cleaned the contacts. Voila! Happy window!

A couple of points:

1. I did not know how to properly remove the switch assembly from the door, so I broke one of the clips and it doesn’t sit perfectly. I baby my car, but now this is just part of it’s “personality”. You may want some guidance about taking it apart correctly.

2. If it is the switch assembly, it is easy to take apart, but only if it is something you feel comfortable with. You’ll know when you see it. If you think it’s beyond your comfort level, get a replacement from a junk yard.

Good luck!