2003 Ford Ranger Problems

I have a 2003 Ford Ranger, 4.0, manual, 4WD, 110K miles. I live in the midwest, and over the last month while it has gotten cold I have had a problem. Sometimes when I start the truck all the lights will flash, the radio turns off, and the doors lock. This is not the kind of vehicle with automatically locking doors. Can someone give me an idea what the problem might be? It has its original battery. Could that be it? Or is it the starter? Or a short?

Poltergeist activity? The ghost stole 5th gear and put in a security system?
The battery could be a problem. This car also has the security chip in the key. It sounds like a security system problem.
Get your battery checked and try using your other key or programming a new one.

? and the doors lock. This is not the kind of vehicle with automatically locking doors.

It appears is is the kind of vehicle that has automatically locking doors. It may be that they were not originally connected, maybe both the higher end model and your model both came with the parts, but the computer was told not to use them, now the computer may be going bad and causing this change as well as other things you have noticed.

It is not the key. It still did it with the other key. It only does it after sitting for about 8 hours. So, when it is completely cool.

If you never have replaced the battery, one could hope that is the problem. That blinking red light on the upper left of the radio is the anti theft system indicator.

I replaced the battery and it is working better. Taking less time to turn over, and I haven’t had the problem since (Knock on wood).

Knocking on wood for you also!!