2002 VW Jetta w/the Flahing Problem

Once again you guys have shown your lack of VW knowledge. Put on the Dubce cap guys.

VW flashers are integral to the 4-way / hazard flasher. So when that guy is handed a 4-way flasher switch or sticks his head under the dash he might be a little confused due to your “knowledgable” advice.

Sorry re the typos but I don’t see a way to edit the inital post like a normal reply. It should have been Flashing or Flasher problem. And what you guys should be wearing is a DUNCE cap 'cause you are sending this poor guy on a wild goose chase due to your lack of knowledge about VW’s

I am not sure of what you are saying, maybe you are responding to a show?

In any case, on some if not all, the switch just pulls out of the dash the new one just is pushed in. It has been a couple of years so I may not remember it all.

Yes, responding to the show. They told the guy to stick his head under the dash and listen for the clicking. Not gonna get you far on a 2002 Jetta. They also told him to go to the dealer to get a new flasher relay so unless the parts guy takes the time to explain it to him he is gonna wonder why they are handing him a hazard switch. I don’t know how kindly and patient the parts counter guys are in Brooklyn NY.

Typical of VW to re-invent the (electrical) wheel with unreliable solutions to non-existent problems.

2002 Volkswagen JETTA Recall ID from NHTSA: 04V584000
Auto Recall Date: 12/16/2004
Vehicle Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 410000
2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, THE HAZARD SWITCH AND FLASHER SYSTEM FUNCTION MAY DEGRADE OVER TIME BECAUSE OF DISTORTION AND MATERIAL TRANSFER OF THE CONTACTS OF CERTAIN HAZARD SWITCH RELAYS WHICH OCCURS DUE TO SUBSTANTIALLY INCREASED ELECTRICAL CURRENT LOAD FROM HIGHER WATTAGE TURN SIGNAL BULBS.
Defect Consequence:
THIS MAY RESULT IN INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE TURN SIGNAL AND HAZARD FLASHER FUNCTION.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD FLASHER SWITCH/RELAY KIT. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MARCH 31, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
Notes: VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA, INC, VX

BTW the turn signal lever on this gen. VW are also an issue. Not hard to replace as long as you aren’t a pu$$y about handling an airbag. Only “special” tool needed is a triple square driver (also called XZN or 12 point), sorry can’t recall the size triple square off the top of my head. Don’t try to substitute a Torx driver, there are times you can get away w/it but the steering wheel bolts are not one of them.

Actually, they greatly simplified the setup with the MKIV’s, in that the flasher relay for hazard and turn signals are all located in the hazard switch, which easily pops out of the dash for replacement. Nothing wrong with this design at all IMHO.

This is MUCH better than the separate switch/relay setup of earlier VW’s in which you had to remove a panel and hunt for the relay on a relay/fuse panel while upside down in front of the drivers seat.

Despite the recall I posted below I have seen many a 10-12 y/o (same gen./platform) VW w/200k - 500k mi. that has the orig. 4-way switch/relay. This is not atypical (we salvage them, orig. ones have a different PN than later replacements). But yes if you need one a new VW relay/switch will cost you approx. 3x ($15 vs. $5) what a typical Chevy relay will cost.

I’d rather pay 3x less and go hunting on my back under the dash but maybe that’s just me :wink: