2002 Ford F-150 turns over but won’t start

2002 Ford F150, Engine turns over but wii not start. Iput in new fuel pump and fuel relay. Carb. is not gettig gas.

when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
do you hear the fuel pump turning on?
If not check the connections.

1 Like

You have a carburetor on a 2002 vehicle?

5 Likes

One common cause of a crank/no-start condition is a bad crankshaft position sensor.

If the computer doesn’t see a signal from this sensor while cranking the engine over, the computer see’s no reason to run the fuel pump or operate the injectors.

Tester

2 Likes

You said the carb is not getting gas. Does the pump run? It’s not unheard of to have a bad pump out of the box. Usually you are required to change the filter with the pump. Never had a Ford though.

this truck has a fuel filter on the driver’s side along the frame rail.

1 Like

I had a 1993 Explorer once and it would turn over but not start. Checked for spark and that was ok. I jostled the fuel pump cutoff switch and it then started. Could be your problem. In the Explorer it was under the carpet & glove compartment.

“The 2002 Ford F-150 is a full-size pickup truck, available with several different cab configurations and bed sizes. Base models received a 4.2-liter V6 engine, while upgraded trim packages utilize either a 4.6-liter or 5.4-liter V8. The 2002 model year features a fuel pump cut-off switch designed to inhibit the delivery of fuel to the engine if an accident occurs. The fuel pump cut-off switch also has the potential to disengage the fuel pump after a hard jolt, preventing the engine from running.”

I forgot to mention that this was the second time I had a problem with this switch (not the same SUV), so I had some misgivings about this protection. I took out this switch and bypassed it with a jumper (probably frowned upon by the NTSB) but I did not want another failure while moving.

2 Likes

this right here.

definitely check the fuel inertia switch. I’ve seen this numerous times on Ford’s.

2 Likes

On a vehicle that has been working ok prior, when a cranks-ok but won’t catch and run problem develops it is almost always either no spark, or no gas. Have either of those been checked? Are you certain there’s gas in the gas tank?

Did you purchase the vehicle in the USA? If so, your F150 doesn’t use a carb, it is a fuel injected engine. Electric fuel pump, right? Do you hear the fuel pump running?