2001 Honda S2000 is TOO hot!

My S2000 is a great car, but I’m having trouble getting people to ride with me. It seems that after being driven for awhile the passenger seat gets hot. I haven’t found anyone yet who has heard of this issue and Honda dealers are in denial about it. I DID have my dealer check the heat shield and they said it’s fine. What’s causing this and how to I fix it?

Did you buy it used? Did the guy before you install seat heaters?

You want to check the heat shield around the catalytic converter, particularly the top section of the shield. The cat maybe getting too hot and that could be due to a bat cat or an over rich condition. Any check engine light on?

Paging Dr. (VDC) Driver . . .

. . . Doc, we might need your help here, either with a hat or . . . is this one of those situations like when people smell burning rubber all the time ?

Is there an affliction that causes one’s rear-end to repeatedly over-heat ?

CSA

Hmmm…If this phenomenon is limited to just one passenger, it is just possible that a hormonal problem is the cause of the “overheated posterior” syndrome. However, if several passengers have reported it, then I think that you have to look to the car.

My prime suspect would be a seat heater that has inadvertantly been left in the “on” position. If the problem was related to a missing heat shield, the passenger would report toasted feet before he/she would claim that their rear end was too hot.

I, too, am voting for a seat heater.

If the cat were overheating it would heat up the floor, not the seat.

The OP didn’t say the floor was hot.

Did you buy it used? Did the guy before you install seat heaters?

You want to check the heat shield around the catalytic converter, particularly the top section of the shield. The cat maybe getting too hot and that could be due to a bad cat or an over rich condition. Any check engine light on?

Doc, we might need your help here, either with a hat or is this one of those situations like when people smell burning rubber all the time? Is there an affliction that causes one’s rear-end to repeatedly overheat?

Hmmm…If this phenomenon is limited to just one passenger, it is just possible that a hormonal problem is the cause of the “overheated posterior” syndrome. However, if several passengers have reported it, then I think that you have to look to the car. My prime suspect would be a seat heater that has inadvertantly been left in the “on” position. If the problem was related to a missing heat shield, the passenger would report toasted feet before he/she would claim that their rear end was too hot.

I, too, am voting for a seat heater. If the cat were overheating it would heat up the floor, not the seat. The OP didn’t say the floor was hot.

Thanks for your responses.
No, I don’t have seat heaters.
I’ve had the mechanicals checked out by 2 different dealers and both say the car is mechanically sound, including the cat and the heat shield.
My friends and I ARE at an age when hormonal imbalances COULD cause a manifestation such as OPS but if they do it only happens in my S2000.
I can’t guarantee that the floor doesn’t get hot. No one has said anything but of course they wouldn’t feel it through the soles of their shoes. I’ll check that out.

I Have A Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer (A Point And Shoot Thermometer) That Would Be Helpful Here, I Believe. See If You Can Borrow One From A Friend (They’re Used In Checking Home Insulation / Drafts) Or One Of The Mechanics Should Have One.

You could shoot some different areas with it and possibly zero in the hot spot(s).

They’re worth having just to use in checking the house. I got mine on a sale for about 50 bucks. It measures temperatures from -76F to +1,022F from several feet away, if need be. It works great and it’s worth $50 as something to play with.

CSA