1997 Ford F-150 -odometer issues

Odometer works the light comes on but the numbers are stuck at one set of numbers it does not change how to fix

WAG-replace instrument cluster.

1 Like

This is a digital odometer, I assume–not the kind with the mechanical numbers that turn? Did you just buy the truck, and did the odometer ever update for you? The reason I am asking is because some models with digital instrument clusters are designed so that the VIN is programmed into the cluster, and if a used cluster with a different VIN is installed, the odometer reading will stay permanently frozen and not update.

OTOH, if it’s an analog odometer there’s a little plastic gear that can break. An F150 forum will have more information. Either way, it requires pulling the instrument cluster.

97 F150 instrument cluster.

On a 97? I wouldn’t worry about it.

Tester

1 Like

It’s interesting that they went back to a mechanical odometer for this generation, since the previous generation had an LCD display for the mileage. So did the contemporaneous Aerostar van.

Right. They only used the mechanical odometer for 97 and 98. Then went back to digital in 99. Who knows why they did that?

I have replaced the little gear on a 95 Ranger. YouTube shows how to get into the dash. While you are in there, replace the dash lights. A bunch of mine were burnt out. I think the damn little gear cost $20.