1996 Dodge Ram 1500 - no crank

Crank no start, no difference with or without starter fluid

What is the compression?

Has anyone checked ignition timing ? to see that you have spark at the correct time.

Donā€™t remember what it was but when we were checking it it was the what the book said it should be, in other words they were all spot on. New distributor an all, yes time was set #1 tdc etc. New wires coil plugs, computer. Had my hands on eve very wide going anywhere everything is grounded found no broken wires.

So how much water or diesel is in your gas tank ?

That would explain

When I replaced the fuel pump I sucked out all the gas tied a rag on a wire an soaked up any thing left in there put in fresh fuel, but that was in. Aug last 2019 it has 1/4 tank now

pardon us for asking questions that you say have already been checked, but we are not there, and cannot see this vehicle. When answering the questions asked- please be specific.

What is battery voltage with Key off?
What is battery voltage during crank- no start?
What is the fuel pressure?
When distributor was replaced- Are you sure timing was set at #1 TDC of the compression stroke and not top of the exhaust stroke?
New plug wires- youā€™re positive the firing order is correct?

1 Like

I understand about not being here an questions, been working on this for 21/2 yrs, I keep the cylinders lubed by cranking once a week so no lock up. Everythings been cked an rechecked I have a month old battery with 750 cca on it. yes was tdc on compression stroke. New fuel pump rail pressure good. I was just reading about asd relay but seems it wouldnā€™t crank if it was that, Iā€™m going to put the data reader on it again tonight, see if it has a code, it never has thatā€™s what is so frustrating. At least a code would give me a hint.

The ASD relay powers the fuel pump, injectors and coil.

Have you verified TDC ?

The engine you have is notorious for stretching the cam chain to the point that it jumps timeā€¦ mechanical engine timing

You absolutely MUST verify thisā€¦ and it aint that ezā€¦ its like doing a cam job.

Inspect your T Chainā€¦ and its timingā€¦ there is near zero tolerance for being ā€œoffā€ ā€¦ a little is actually a lotā€¦ esp with a computer between you the cam timing and fueling intervalsā€¦

You can cheat if you know your stuffā€¦ put engine at its indicated TDC markā€¦ install a compression tester into number one cyl and remove the schrader valve in the comp tester hoseā€¦ then literally blow into the hoseā€¦ it should build compression instantlyā€¦ if u can blow and blowā€¦ the cam timing is off and probably behind a tooth or moreā€¦ which will leave an exhaust valve open slightlyā€¦ and leak comp out the tailpipeā€¦ thats my cheat to test without disassembly.

My money is on mechanical engine timingā€¦ verify it ā€¦ or chase your tail moreā€¦ your choice

You need a fair amount of experience to pull off the ā€œcheatā€ properlyā€¦

The only other way is to pull the cam coverā€¦ line up TDC and look at what the cam is doing.

I bet its a tooth or more offā€¦ as inā€¦ behind

That will sink your entire ship my manā€¦ trust me.

Check, check, checkā€¦

Did i mention you should check cam timing?