121 mpg

Mike, my point is that you don’t need to be an ethical being to know that screwing your subscribers is not in your self interest if your long term goal is to make money. Is your point really that you can make more money dishonestly than honestly? I submit to you that will only lead to short term gain. It doesn’t work in the long term. When you take advantage of people, even the idiots eventually realize that you are not asking them to be repeat customers. Repeat business will lead to more profits in a long term business than the “screw them and get their money one time” business philosophy that you seem to think is the model we should all aspire to. If you took an ethics class from a reputable professor, you would know that unethical behavior might pay off in the short term, but that ethical behavior leads to higher profits in the long term.

Did you ever wonder who snake oil salesmen got tarred, feathered, and run out of town in the old days? Didn’t this happen in the real world?

The argument that we should not fight scams like this because they have been around for a long time doesn?t float. You could make the same argument for pedophiles too, but we fight them anyway because it is the right thing to do.

it’s NOT going to happen as long as the networks and magazines are going to make money from it.

[i]That is my whole point![/i] I believe that subscribers of Popular Mechanics are responsible for willingly supporting these scams. If they cancel their subscriptions, Popular Mechanics won?t continue to make money from sharing in these unscrupulous schemes. If you know that the advertisers are dishonest and you continue to subscribe to Popular Mechanics, you are part of the problem because you are enabling Popular Mechanics to make money unethically.

If you believe these advertisements are scams and you continue to subscribe to Popular Mechanics, you are part of the problem. That would make you a hypocrite and worse, an enabler whose skepticism has led you to become a sheep, following the rest of the heard right over the cliff. Do you really think that Popular Mechanics will continue to sell this advertising if their readers demand something better?

If you stopped supporting them…the throw out your TV and Radio…and don’t buy any Newspapers or Magazines. They’re EVERYWHERE.

Or you could just practice discretion without throwing out your TV and your radio. I have TVs and radios. I don’t watch commercials or infomercials. I have TiVo. I don’t listen to advertisements on the radio. I have a satellite radio and CDs. I choose not to expose myself to this kind of crap. It only exists in your life if you choose to expose yourself to it. It isn’t everywhere if you have the brain power to make choices for yourself.

It certainly would. In fact, that is the only real solution. Sadly, some people are so skeptical that they have become apathetic sheep who think they can’t make a difference.

Polarized lenses will improve my fuel economy? Cool! All of mine are polarized!

Is your point really that you can make more money dishonestly than honestly?

Is this a reading comprehension problem Jeremy…I NEVER SAID THAT. I said that these large corporations do NOT turn down this kind of revenue. Now if someone wants to sell an add on how to make your own bomb that is designed to kill as many people as possible…they will probably draw the line. Could you please show me the ONE magazine/TV or Radio station that does NOT sell advertisements to companies that sell Bogus (or very questionable products).

I submit to you that will only lead to short term gain.

You are so wrong. If the buying public was smart enough to know these products were bogus then it wouldn’t be a BILLION(S) dollar a year business.

Repeat business will lead to more profits in a long term business than the “screw them and get their money one time” business philosophy that you seem to think is the model we should all aspire to.

If the buying public is too stupid to know they’re getting screwed then what incentive to they have to stop.

Did you ever wonder who snake oil salesmen got tarred, feathered, and run out of town in the old days? Didn’t this happen in the real world?

Didn’t stop them did it??? The snake oil salesman has become very sofisicated and is now worth BILLIONS. Have you watched any of the 10-20 infomercials by Kevin Trudeau. He’s been found guilty in Federal Court for Fraud…and yet he’s still advertising and selling his BOGUS products and still making MILLIONS. That’s the REAL WORLD.

The argument that we should not fight scams like this because they have been around for a long time doesn?t float.

WHEN DID I EVER SAY THAT?? PLEASE SHOW ME.

What I said was that the ONLY way to fight them is to NOT BUY THE PRODUCT AND LET ALL YOUR FRIENDS KNOW THE PRODUCT IS BOGUS. If you listen to the Radio or Watch TV or read ANY NEWSPAPER OR MAGAZINE…then you’re a Hypocrite…BECAUSE they all sell adds to BOGUS products. Show me the ONE that doesn’t.

If they cancel their subscriptions, Popular Mechanics won?t continue to make money from sharing in these unscrupulous schemes.

Popular Mechanics makes far more money from Advertisements then they do from subscriptions. IL suggest you look at yourself before you start calling someone a hypocrite. You must live in a real sheltered world not reading ANY newspapers, or magazines or listen the radio or watch any TV. If you do any of those then you’re supporting the companies sell advertising to those bogus products…thus you’re a hypocrite.

Sorry . . . no satisfied customers here for that particular advertisement. My take is that the prediction of such an increase is beyond reason. You know better to post this here acadia . . . c’mon. Rocketman

How long do you think Popular Mechanics will be able to sell advertising if they have no subscribers? Don’t you think that Popular Mechanics’ subscribers enable them to say to their advertisers that we have so many thousands of subscribers? If they had fewer subscribers, they would not be able to make as much money selling advertising. I don’t know how you think advertising works, but without readers, it is worthless and would generate no advertising sales.

I don’t have a reading comprehension problem. I simply asked you a question. My point is that the advertising is priced and sold based on readership of the magazine, not on straight sales of the advertised product. You seem to be an apologist for Popular Mechanics complicity in this unethical behavior. You also seem to suggest that if Popular Mechanics has no subscribers, they will still be able to sell advertising. Is that what you are saying?

I said that these large corporations do NOT down this kind of revenue.

What does that mean? Is there a verb missing here? Is it any wonder that I can’t understand you and ask for clarification? It almost kills me with irony when you misspell “sophisticated!”

Have you watched any of the 10-20 infomercials by Kevin Trudeau.

Why on God’s green earth would I want to spend my time doing that?

He’s been found guilty in Federal Court for Fraud…and yet he’s still advertising and selling his BOGUS products and still making MILLIONS. That’s the REAL WORLD.

Are you saying I don’t live in the real world because I don’t spend my time watching his infomercials? Please, life is too short!

Oh, and would it kill you to end a question with a question mark?

[b]Could you please show me the ONE magazine/TV or Radio station that does NOT sell advertisements to companies that sell Bogus (or very questionable products).

Of course I can![/b]

Here are some examples of magazines:

-American Motorcyclist magazine doesn’t have any bogus advertisers that I can spot. Why is it so hard for them to have standards?

-Consumer Reports has standards for its advertisers. Why are they still in business?

Is two enough for you or do you want more? You only asked for one!

As for the TV stations that you asked for:

-HBO doesn’t sell advertising at all, so I guess I could say that they do “NOT sell advertisements to companies that sell Bogus (or very questionable products).” I would give you more, but you only asked for one. Also, you asked for TV stations, not parent companies.

As for radio stations:

-Both satellite radio providers have commercial-free music stations, so I could say that they do “NOT sell advertisements to companies that sell Bogus (or very questionable products).”

-Have you ever tried to buy advertising on religious radio? I have. Some Christian radio stations will only let you advertise products that support their beliefs. I don’t see them going out of business.

Let’s see…you asked for one example and I have given you five. Let me know if that isn’t enough.

Your stance seems to be “WE LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD WHERE WE HAVE NO CONTROL!!!” To me it sounds like all you are saying is “BAAAAAAAA!”

Jeremy…Do you buy ANYTHING at the following stores??

Wallmart, K-Mart, Sears, JP Penney, Borders Books, Barnes & Noble, JC Witney, JC Penney Advance Auto, ADAP, Pep Boys, Sports Authority (in fact ANY store that sells Sporting Equipment)?

If you said YES to any of those companies then BY YOUR DEFINITION you’re a hypocrite. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE COMPANIES sells these BOGUS products…EVERY SINGLE ONE. Not only do they sell them they advertise them. So if you spend any money there you are supporting a business that is selling and promoting these BOGUS products. Are you now going to try to shut them down because the buying public is too stupid, so they keep buying these bogus products.

You also seem to suggest that if Popular Mechanics has no subscribers, they will still be able to sell advertising. Is that what you are saying?

Here we go with this reading comprehension problem again. I NEVER EVER SAID THAT…Please show me where I did. I’ve read Popular Mechanics (I don’t subscribe, but I read it every now and then). SO what?? That doesn’t mean I believe everything they write or advertise. I’m sorry if you do.

HBO doesn’t sell advertising at all, so I guess I could say that they do “NOT sell advertisements to companies that sell Bogus (or very questionable products).” I would give you more, but you only asked for one.

WRONG…HBO is OWNED BY CBS…and YES CBS does sell advertisements to these bogus companies. Where have you been living???

Your stance seems to be “WE LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD WHERE WE HAVE NO CONTROL!!!” To me it sounds like all you are saying is “BAAAAAAAA!”

Here we go with the reading comphrension problem again. I suggest you get help for it. We as individuals have CONTROL over our OWN lives. If you honestly think you can make a change by NOT buying one magazine then you are living in a very very sheltered dream world. I’ve NEVER bought one of those products. If you have because these magazines have led you too, then that’s YOUR problem…NOT MINE. So don’t try to shut down an institution because they sell something you were too stupid to stay away from.

If you honestly think you can make a change by NOT buying one magazine then you are living in a very very sheltered dream world.

It is kind of like throwing a pebble into a pond. It takes one to start, and if enough people do it, there is an effect. However, if the millions of people who would throw a pebble say to themselves “I can’t make a difference,” then nobody will throw their pebbles and nothing will get done. I guess it boils down to whether you consider yourself a leader or a follower.

I have never voted in an election where it was decided by a single vote, so I COULD say that my vote didn’t make a difference. However, if we all believed that, as you seem to, nobody would vote. This falls under the same principle. Whether it is supporting unethical business behavior or voting in an election, it starts with individuals who are willing to make a difference.

You didn’t answer my first question Jeremy??? Afraid to show us what a hypocrite you are???

How about if we stop supporting scams like that by NOT buying Popular Mechanics magazine. Wouldn’t that be more effective?

Then you better stop buy ANY Magazine or ANY newpaper or watch TV or listen to the radio…because they ALL advertise these bogus produts.

You also need to stop shopping at the following stores…

WalMart, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny, JC Whitney, ADAP, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, Sprots Authority…Because they ALL sell these bogus products and they ALL advertise them.

Not at all. I was attempting to take this discussion in a useful direction. As soon as you respond to all of my questions, I will be happy to do the same. Besides, what does sporting equipment have to do with Popular Mechanics? I didn’t answer your question because it is totally ridiculous. You haven’t answered most of my questions, so why should I respond to one that is clearly an attempt to change the subject?

If you want me to answer each and every one of your ridiculous questions, please do the same for me. Or simply answer these questions:

-American Motorcyclist magazine doesn’t have any bogus advertisers that I can spot. Why is it so hard for them to have standards?

-Consumer Reports has standards for its advertisers. Why are they still in business?

-Some Christian radio stations will only let you advertise products that support their beliefs. How do they stay in business?

what does sporting equipment have to do with Popular Mechanics?

Because the sports stores (LIKE POPULAR MECHANICS) advertise these bogus products.

You don’t see a problem with NOT buynig Popular Mechanics because they advertise bogus products, but yet it’s OK for Sports Authority to not only advertise these bogus products…but they also sell them. See the hypocracy???

You’ve just focused in on ONE Magazine…ignoring ALL the rest. This is NOT changing the subject one bit. You’re the one who’s NOW changing the subject.

OK, I’ll bite. What kind of bogus products are sold at Walmart, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penney, Borders Books, Barnes & Noble, JC Penney, and Sports Authority? Please be as specific as you can since I would hate to think you are blowing hot air!

Does your lack of a response to my earlier questions mean that you concede that one person CAN make a difference? Or was that whole pebble in a pond example too complicated for you?

Jeremy–While I am not really disagreeing with you, I have to question your statement, to whit:

“Consumer Reports has standards for its advertisers. Why are they still in business?”

In reality, Consumer Reports does not accept advertising of any kind, whatsoever.

Could you be thinking of a different magazine, perhaps? There is also a magazine called…Consumer Digest (I think)…or something to that effect. Back in the early '80s, they had a test of the new crop of compact cars and they pronounced the new Olds compact (who could possibly remember the names of some of those Olds models) the absolute best of the lot, and superior to the Honda Accord. About 3 pages later, there was a large display ad for that model Olds, including the fact that it had been named “best compact” by that magazine. Needless to say, that magazine has no credibility. However, that was NOT Consumer Reports.

Incidentally, very few of those Olds compacts were sold, in comparison to the Honda Accord, and most of those Olds compacts self destructed many years ago.

OK, I guess Consumer reports went back to not advertising. There was a time when they did print advertisements.

Automotive:
Slick-50 and all the other products you pour into your car that claim DRASTIC increases in gas mileage and performance.

Magic spark plugs like Split-Fire that claim drastic increases in gas mileage and performance.

K&N Air filters that claim drastic increases in performance and gas mileage.

Magnets for your fuel-line to improve gas mileage and performance.

The Tornado.

Non Automotive:

Every single one of Keven Trudeau’s books can be bought at WalMart, K-Mart, JC Penney, Borders Barnes & Noble.

Every single Bogus Diet Plan you can think.

Every single AB machine that claims a bathing suit body by using their machine.

Magnets to heal every alignment from Hair-loss to warts.

And I’m sure I missed a few hundred.

The point I’ve been making which you don’t seem to comprehend is the ONLY way to stop these products is to stop people from buying them…PERIOD. As long as people are willing to buy them they’ll keep popping up in different shapes and sizes. Boycotting the companies that sell these products or advertise these products is like trying to stop the wind…NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

You don’t have to read the ads in Popular Mechanics either do you???

Personally, I believe that books, both diet and others, only give the reader what he or she takes from them. Diets, for example, work, but not by themselves. If you think that a diet alone will improve your health without other lifestyle changes, you are too gullible to be allowed to shop. The same goes for most sporting goods. If you don’t use them properly as a part of a complete welness plan, you won’t get the results you want. I apply the same principle to my ethics. Not buying the product is an important part of the plan, but it isn’t as effective as not buying the products AND not buying Popular Mechanics. Maybe if we get a non-Republican in the Whitehouse, the Consumer Protection Agency will get back to doing its job. That would make the war against fraudulent products a war on three fronts.

Like I said, It is kind of like throwing a pebble into a pond. It takes one to start, and if enough people do it, there IS an effect. However, if the millions of people who would throw a pebble say to themselves “I can’t make a difference,” or “there is only one way to solve a problem and this isn’t it,” then nobody will throw their pebbles and nothing will get done. Is this pebble in a pond example too complicated for you?

Nope, especially if I exercise my ethics by not buying the magazine!