05 Caravan air bag light

The air bag light is illumenated on my 05 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. Just had the sensors replaced (recall) at the dealership.They double checked their work. They want $ 80.00 to diagnose the problem. My horn and cruise work just fine. No radio controls on the wheel. Checked the wiring harness under the steering wheel as well as the two plugs that connect the clock spring. checked all fuses under the hood. Could it be the clock spring? Even though everything else works fine? Should I attempt to replace it myself? I usually do most repairs myself.

Thanks, Boots P. Auburn,NY

The airbag system is more than just the airbag itself. There are sensors and a controller. Plus, this van should also have a passenger-side airbag and side curtain airbags. Are you sure what component(s) are bad? You need to have the trouble codes read before trying to replace anything. You may want to shop around to find a body shop, other dealer, or independant mechanics shop that will read them for free or a lot cheaper than $80.00.

Thanks for the info. I don’t think it has side curtain bags, but I do think it has a knee bag. My next step was to go to my local mechanic. The light has been on for 4 to 6 months now, and I just recently received the recall in the mail. Today they replaced the sensors, and told me it was not the problem. Boots, Auburn,NY

The notification letter you got had a number for you to call if you have questions. The number is to DaimlerChrysler 1-800-853-1403. If the DTC are for the front air bag sensors, the recall covers that repair. If the DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are for other parts of the air bag system, the recall doesn’t cover that. When the dealer did the sensor replacement, they are supposed to attach a scan tool and ensure the air bag system is working properly, and that the DTCS for the front air bag sensors are off. I question, “Did they do this?”.