Worst movie cars of all time? I vote Uncle Buck!

An old and worn out car

The Uncle Buck car is probably as classic of a hoopty as they come. A hoopty is usually a larger and older American made car like an old Caprice or the like that is worse for wear. Picture any big boat type car that has seen better days. Uncle Buck is the perfect example!

I also agree with the Fast and Furious cars being in poor taste but not really total junk. I have nothing against Asian cars but some of the “ricer” mods are not my style at all. Keep your Honda looking like something that doesn’t belong in outer space.

I found this: https://www.cars.com/articles/top-10-worst-movie-cars-1420684502709/

The Uncle Buck car made the list of course.

I forgot about the rental car in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles but that one was actually so bad it got impounded. It had caught on fire and gone between two semis of course.

I seem to recall a rental car being destroyed as well in one of those Jackass movies.

Here we just call them a POS if for sale or if still on the road judgment proof. 99% probability driver has no license, no insurance. 100% probability if an illegal alien.

I’m surprised I was the first guy on this particular discussion to use the term “hoopty”

Perhaps it’s a dated term . . . ?

I had a 78 Horizon, stick shift wit the 1600 cc Peugeot engine that backfired horribly when I let off the gas until I cut off the belt to the air pump. It ran great after that. I could never figure out how a car running that rich could still give me 30 mpg around town. It wasn’t worth fixing much, I only paid $400 for it. It went to the junkyard after two years when the trailing arm rusted through and the emergency brake cable spun me in a circle.

I thought the aged Mercury Marquis was an excellent choice for the character, it fit his personality very well. I see it as one of the greatest movie cars.

Revenge of The Pink Panther

Peter Falk’s old Peugeot as the ultimate uncool detective car complimenting his dirty rain coat.

Hey wait, that car can fly! That goes in the “awesome movie cars” in my book.

Fun trivia about it - the name was based on the Chitty Bang Bang race cars from the '20’s. The first one had a 23 liter (no, I did not forget the decimal point) 6 cylinder, and hit 120mph before it crashed, then got rebuilt and bought by Arthur Conan Doyle’s kids.

The perfect car for that character.

Hey, here’s one. The Knight Industries 4000, from the Knight Rider 2000 movie:

http://www.teamknightrider.com/kr2000/kift/kiftpics/kift01.jpg

That godawful thing was based on the considerably more awesome-looking 1988 Pontiac Banshee IV concept car:

Cars - 2 had a collection of extremely bad cars.

has the Aztek ever been in a movie???

http://vehiclevoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Pontiac-Aztek1.png

Why would you want to set your movie up to fail?! :laughing:

2 Likes

Several!

Any time you have a question like that, you can get an answer from the Internet Movie Cars Database:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles_make-Pontiac_model-Aztek.html

1 Like

I actually saw an Aztek during one of my road tests today . . . !

They look even worse in real life, versus on the computer screen :fearful:

2 Likes

They say that the Aztec was the car that killed the Pontiac brand so many consider it one of the worst cars ever. It was ugly and all but overall you could get much worse cars in terms of reliability. I understand it was actually useful if you could get past the ugliness of the thing!

The backfiring and overall poor condition of a car is the winner for me. As I mentioned, I used to live on a road leading to a very rough trailer court. Junkers were driving by all day and night and you got used to hearing them roar, backfire, and such as they drove by. You were almost guaranteed to be woke up in the night by shotgun backfire as they coasted down the long hill in front of our house. It seemed these were old carbed cars out of tune combusting unburned fuel in the exhaust system. Some would backfire with a massive boom every 10 seconds or so while others were a continuous string of small pops like someone setting of a string of firecrackers. They all had their unique sound and you knew which car it was without seeing them.

Then you had the cars going uphill. They would misfire and just leave large clouds of smoke from all the oil burning. This was obnoxious. Some were just plain worn out junk like Uncle Buck’s car while others probably could have been improved a lot with some minor maintenance.

These guys seemed to have the worst luck with Model T Fords

Another nomination, from the Clint Eastwood movie “The Pink Cadillac”

I like that Caddie. That is the perfect car to ooze down the street.

1 Like

Two blonds, one on each shoulder? :wink: