Winter oil weight

This is true. Air temp is 40

Agree; wind chill is only effective on a vehicle in cooling it down quicker. In an overnight “cold soak” wind speed has no effect.

Once more I would warn against using a xxW20 in an older design car. It will likely result in leaks and/or oil consumption once the car really heats up.

A 5W30 synthetic is a good start with a block heater. Bad bearing will have to play it by ear from there on. A 0W30 synthetic has a pour point of about -65F!!!

i wouldnt go less than a xx-30
im thinking 5-30 and id go 5-40 if i thought i could

Then again if the 0 is cold flow and 30 is op temp weight why not go 0-30?

@badbearing You got it!

0-30 here i come

Thanks

One exception I can think of is,radiational cooling,frost and ice can form sometimes when the conditions are right,even when the air temperature is slightly above freezing-Kevin

Right you are @josephEMeehan, unless there are other problems stick with the recommendation. After 6 iterations, Block heater good, dipstick heater bad pan heater worthless.

Pan heater worthless with factory recommended oil? WRONG

@badbearing I assume you disagree with my pan heater worthless opinion. Lived in North dakota, -46 real temp, based on personal experience, your expertise? Thinking you are talking about a magnetic oil pan heater! Ps just cause we need a diversion every now and then. Fun plug http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfp3IviREp8

My expertise is -50 is common and well over 80,000 vehicle using them in my town. Common sense tells me the pour point of factory recommended oil could use a little help getting to where its supposed to be at -50. Why would you think warm oil is “worthless”

Cold starts kill engines

Warm oil is how they started vehicles here back in the day. drain the fluids and take them inside for the evening

My guess would be you dont have a lot of -46 days
-50 'Real Temp" is common here

Clarify please, a block heater is the best option, since no one reads previous pages repost of a previous link worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfp3IviREp8

Block heater & Pan heater

Block heaters warm the coolant and they are good. Pan heaters warm the oil. No problem with that if they stay put. One morning one of our directors came to see me all upset that someone had stolen her pan heater in the garage. I investigated but concluded it fell off somewhere on the road. I’ve still got one that I wanted to use on the mower but magnets don’t stick too well to aluminum. I don’t see any problem using them if they stay put or you don’t mind crawling under the car all the time. Can’t attest to their effectiveness though.

I spray the oil pan with brake cleaner
Then smear some high temp permatex on the pad
Stick it to the pan
throw some duck tape on to keep it in place while it cures

They are very effective
They warm the oil well…even at 50-60 below zero

Trust me i know first hand

Ive never had one fall off

The magnets work but at these temps the rubber on the cord gets brittle and breaks

Going a little off-topic here but what about batteries? I have absolutely no idea what it’s like in sub-zero temperatures, but what happens to a battery at that temp. My mother grew up in Minnesota and remembers her dad having to plug the car in at night and if it was really cold he would take the battery in the house.

A lot of people run what they call battery blankets. Im told heat is harder on a battery than cold and a battery will only freeze if discharged and or tired out (junk)

I have never used any kind of battery heater and have never had a problem