Winter oil weight

Thank you

The 22re is a pretty old engine design. I suspect it actually calls for 10w30

I think probably that or 5-30 but we are at -50

I searched all over. People are running everything from 0-20 to 20-50 in 22re

Im going to run with Mobil 1 5-30 Thats what the Mobil 1 site recommended … They wouldnt lie to me just to sell there product would they?..

@badbearing

“They wouldn’t lie to me just to sell there product would they?”

May I assume you don’t really want an answer to that question?

that would be a fair assumption

Is it wise to use xx-20 oil in a motor that is spec’d for xx-30? If spec is 10-30 than 5-30 is better for cold and 0-30 is even better for cold starts.

@badbearing The Mobil1 guys don’t live in Fairbanks and don’t have to park their cars overnight there without being able to plug in. I agree that nearly everywhere in the USA, 5W30 Mobil 1 is a great oil for your car. But you live in an exceptional place, and need an exceptional oil, like 0W30 for those unanticipated situations.

Right

A low pour point synthetic could essentially save a life

When it gets down to -50, all bets and manual are off. This is extreme extreme and extreme measures need to be taken. I think a 5-30 or 5-20 should do just fine. Being in Minnesota where it can get down to -20, its unbelievable the impact that can have on mechanical devices. Its amazing anything works. Can’t imagine what it would be like in -50. Its 40 here now and I’m freezing my patuti off already. Spring is just around the corner-somewhere.

Im from Northern Wi. Its actually warmer here in ways. Take -20 and add wind and humidity=COLD
-50 here but low humidity and almost no wind here in Fairbanks

Im going to run 5-30 syn … probably Mob1

Take -20 and add wind and humidity=COLD -50

The wind-chill has no effect. Only take into account the actual temp.

I understand that. I was leaning towards “General Discussions”

Brrr!, use the 0w-20 to get started,when it warms a bit switch to the 5w-30,watch your oil pressure gauge-Kevin(try to have at least 10# per 1000 rpms-Kevin

“Spring is just around the corner-somewhere”

Australia, Argentina, South Africa…

"The wind-chill has no effect. Only take into account the actual temp. "

Unless you’re out walkin’ in it, then its COLD.

Unless you're out walkin' in it, then its COLD.

100% true…Wind chill has a great deal of effect on living things.

Wind chill would effect how fast a motor cools down after you shut it off…right after it heats up…

Wind chill would effect how fast a motor cools down after you shut it off.....right after it heats up.

True…wind-chill is rate of cool…But it doesn’t effect how cold something will get. Put a glass of water where the outside temps are around 40…with a constant wind-chill of 30…the glass of water will NEVER freeze.