Winter oil weight

Heat is what really kills a battery…However cold will show you how weak your battery is. Here in the North East batteries last 7-10 years. Down south 3-5 years is typical.

When I worked in he Arctic we had “battery blankets” as well. Its an insulated wraparound powered by about 60 watt wire element. It kept the battery warm enough for quick starts. Many folks there also had small magnetic heaters for their transmissions.

You normally had 2 or three cords sticking out of the grill. This stuff has been on the market for a long time. Ask drivers in Minnesota, North Dakota and Montana.

Thats a Looong stretch for a battery.

Ya but if you got it together only one cord sticks out. The junction is hid behind the grill somewhere. Yep. Thats common practice here

If I lived in Alaska, I’d have a block heater and a heated GARAGE. End of discussion.

Heated garages are one of the WORSE things for a car. They promote rust. When salt is freezing it can’t hurt the metal. Heated garage melts away the snow and leaves the salt sitting in places that will harm the metal.

MikeInNH:
What you said is very true.
This case, however, is a matter of “pick your poison”.
If it were -50 out, I’ll take the heated garage.

@Bing An insulated but unheated garage would be the best. We have an attached, insulated garage and the temperature even in the severest cold spell does not drop below 14F. With a block heater plugged in the temperature stays just below freezing in the coldest nights. There is enough heat transfer from the house to turn the garage into an unheated room. Ideal for the car.

Agree that a heated garage is bad for your car. Years ago I lived in an apartment with heated underground parking. My buddy went for a 3 month training course in Europe, and parked his NEW Plymouth in the garage. When he came back the unwashed car with salt on it already had rust spots on the “chrome” bumpers.

Up there a heated garage may still be below freezing.

No salt here
We use "E chip"
It’s about 3/8 inch rock
Hence the phrase “Alaska Windshield”