Windshield wipers

My '98 Dodge Caravan (214M miles)wipers have gone on without warning or need. It is a mystery what motivates the start-up.

The wiper motor,Body Control Module and switch have been replaced, as well as the wiring in the steering column has been checked. The wipers have gone on with the ignition on and while it is off. Any ideas what would cause this “ghostly activity”?

I have a 96 Dodge Caravan. Ours started that same way. Weird wiper action. Then our turn signals were working sporadically. Then the clock won’t stay set. Electrical mechanic said maybe it was our wiring to the hitch (which we have never used). My husband thinks it has to do with the after-market remote car starter. Do you have either of these things? We have replaced the switch 3 times in the last 2 years. Everything works for about 3-4 weeks after switch replacement, then the whole thing starts all over again.
I think Dodge Caravans are somehow ‘possessed’. If the mechanics can’t figure it out…then what?!

I don’t know if this will help, but on my 1978 Oldsmobile, the hot line goes directly to the wiper motor. The switch inside the car completes the circuit to the ground. If your Dodge Caravan has the same set-up, the wire going from the wiper motor to the controls inside the car may be intermittently touching some metallic point in the car. This would complete the circuit and cause the problem you are having. I’m not certain if Chrysler uses this set-up (I only have a wiring diagram for my 1978 Oldsmobile), but if it does, this might be the root of your problem. I would check for a shop that specializes in electrical systems. You don’t want to throw any more parts at your Caravan.