Windshield wiper arm replacement

I need to replace the wiper arms on my 1989 Dodge Caravan. The previous owner had removed them, but when I went to install a new set, he’d removed the mechanisms they attached to. I cannot find out what parts I need to order because the van is so old and I was hoping someone could clue me in. Even a diagram for an 89/90 Caravan would be helpful. I really can’t fix this if I don’t know exactly what’s missing.

(No, I cannot buy a new van)
(No, I cannot contact the seller)

It’s hard to tell from here, too…

Are the arms with “shepherd’s hook” ends still there?

Are there only shafts sticking out?

Are there only holes there where the shafts should stick out?

Any chance you could take a picture of what is left, of the windshield wiper components, on your vehicle and post it here?
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

A wrecking yard would have lots of these; no need to buy new ones which will cost quite a bit if you can find them.

Chrysler has a habit of calling any part last made more than 10 yeas ago “obsolete” and you would have to go to the aftermarket to get one.

1 Like

It’s called the wiper transmission. Has all the parts from the motor to the wiper arms. See an example- https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-lighting/wiper-transmission/dodge/grand-caravan

That being said, I would buy a junkyard unit before I bought a new part considering the van’s age…

If the wiper arms are off there should be a shaft with a tapered, serrated part at the end of it sticking out of each hole. The wiper arm just snaps over that. There may be a small sideways tab at the base of the arm to slide right to install or remove the arm, but most I have seen pry off and snap on.

I think what them is saying is that the transmission that you would attach the wiper arm to is missing and also maybe the motor. I guess I would go with the junk yard part that would include everything including the motor and the screws. Get the whole complete unit-tell them you need everything and then see what is there or have someone install it.

1 Like

Ha, ha, ha… :joy:
Good one, Bing!
CSA

1 Like

I’ll post pics shortly. Thanks for the suggestions so far! I’ve never had to even look under the cowl before, so I’ve been at a complete loss!

1 Like

If you need to take the wiper arms off, watch out for the windshield. It might be under the plastic cowl beneath them wiper arms. If you pry them off, the windshield might break.

1 Like

Them wiper arms…
Ha, ha, ha… :joy:
Good one, JT!
CSA

I think we might be in the minority here seeing the humor of it all. And as long as my English teacher wife doesn’t know.

I understood the post to say this vehicle did not have wiper arms on it and no place to attach the new ones.

This is a wiper motor and linkages replacement u-tube vdo for a 1987 dodge Dakota. The procedure for an 89 Carvan may be similar.

A little hard to see what the heck he’s doing but it looks like those plastic bushings are similar to my Pontiac. One cam loose and I had to replace the whole transmission for $80. I looked for just the bushings but when you’ve got no wipers, you’re kinda in a hurry. I saved the old one to scavenge the bushings off of if I ever needed it again. I think I made a temporary clamp or something to keep it together waiting for the part from Rock.

Where is your sense of adventure Bing let your wife be like mrs triedag

Professor Irwin Corey is my hero…

“them wiper arms” is ok English usage, albeit non-standard except in regional usage, according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

demonstrative adjective, equivalent to “those”.

An example from 1621: Foure of them Logs make a Kab.

If “Kab” refers to “cabin” either really big logs, or a really small cabin :wink: