Will you sell your soul for a gallon of gas?

Well, it’s distinctively a new Buick. They all look more or less the same, but this thing is really short and fat, yet somehow still has a rakish windshield, sort of how the Lacrosse is long and thin, with a very rakish windshield. I suppose the rakish windshield is for aerodynamic purposes, but is a feature I could definitely do without. I drove a '13 Buick Lacrosse a few weeks ago and, while comfortable enough, I did not like the rake of the windshield and how it forced me to lean forward and look up to see traffic signals.

While this new Buick Encore is not pretty, I do think saying the Aztek looked better is a little harsh.

@RemcoW,

Just to be clear, the picture I posted is not a Kia Soul. I don’t know what model is pictured, but I don know it got hit by the whole ugly tree.

Well, it’s noty the ugliest I’ve ever seen…the Aztek is pretty hard to beat.

I think it’ll do well. It looks small yet at the same time roomy. That’s a hard target to hit stylistically.

Doesn’t look like much trunk space to me.

I think the stylists at the automobile companies can often ruin what was a reasonably good looking car one year to a car that looks hideous by the next year. I have attached pictures of the changes Ford made from the 1957 Ford to the !958 Ford. GM, I think made the same mistake from the 1957 Buick which looked pretty good to the overly done 1958 Buick. At any rate, making ugly cars is nothing new.

“…unless Rosie O’Donnel has learned to rollerscate of late…”

Rosie just got married.

@Whitey

It’s still a Fiat Multipla, as I mentioned above. Is that a spare tire under the windshield?

It’s not THAT bad, but I don’t think it will place in any beauty contests. The Aztek was one of the worst, especially the slime green one with the black cladding they made the first couple years. Sorry Triedaq, but I still think the Pacer beats them all, though that Fiat Multipla is right on up there. That’s OK, though, I don’t think the Versa is the best looking thing to come down the pike, but I really like mine.

But you can’t fit anything IN it ! what good is it ?
4 people and what else ? 2 bags of groceries ?

A big part of the problem with the Buick Encore is that it is based on the Chevrolet (Daewoo??) Sonic.
When you take a chassis as small as that of a Chevy Sonic and put an SUV-like body on that extremely short platform, the proportions of the body are never going to look right–IMHO,

Here’s what my mom bought in 1977. I can’t believe she traded a perfectly good Impala for this:

I guess I should admit I’d sell my soul to save gas. By that I mean I’d be willing to drive a small ugly under-powered car to save money on gas.

However, with that said, if I’m going to drive an ugly but highly fuel efficient vehicle, I don’t see the point of it being an SUV. It would be something like a Kia Forte, a Hyundai Accent, or a Toyota Yaris.

I think the new Kia Forté is a nice looking car. My wife rented one whilst our van was in the shop and I was rather impressed with it. Don’t know how it would hold up, though.

jtsanders, You poor thing! I’d still be in therapy.

I’ve always tended to do the opposite of what everyone else is doing and have really never been sorry for it except I shouldn’t have bought the diesel Olds. In 74 I bought an Olds V8 during the gas crisis. When we needed a good car for the wife to commute to school 40 miles away, the best deal was on a Lincoln. All the little puddle jumpers were three times the cost. I just buy what fits my needs and comfort and let the ups and downs of the gas prices work themselves out. I’ve seen people buy little cars because of the MPG, then two years later get an SUV when prices came down. Paying high bucks both times because they followed the crowd.

The cash for clunkers deal is a good example of that, @Bing.

Wonder how many bought small cars only to turn around and get rid of them a year or 2 later

“I’d still be in therapy.”

When did they let you out of it, @doubleclutch?

I’ve been better since the lobotomy. What I meant was, if my parents had traded a good Impala for a Pacer I’d still be in therapy to this day.

OK, I understand now. I’d already moved out when Mom did the deed and rarely had to ride in the Pacer. But that was her only flaw, and I easily forgave it.

Really? where do you trade in your soul googled it and came up with no opportunities.

In the movie “Oh, God”, starring John Denver and George Burns, the character played by John Denver drove an AMC Pacer wagon. I think the Pacer wagon was more suited to this movie than a Chevrolet Impala would have been.