Wife is blinded by glare

Hi, My wife is 5’ 5" and I am 6’ 2", when I drive our 2012 ford escape I have no problems but when My wife drives the car she get a reflective glare from the sun between 12 noon and 3/4pm off of the plastic over the instrument panel. The glare is so bad that she becomes momentarily blinded. Now, she is forced to drive the car with pieces of paper in the corners of the bottom of the panel. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to fix it.

Would polarized sun glasses help your wife in these conditions?
She may have found the solution by putting pieces of paper in the corners of the bottom of the panel. Maybe adhering some dark felt to the offending area would be a permanent solution.

Triedaq’s suggestion is a good one, but I want to go one step in another direction, namely a medical direction.

I don’t know how old your wife is, but if she is beginning to develop cataracts, that condition makes one MUCH more prone to problems from glare–both sun glare during the day and from oncoming headlights at night.

While most people think of cataracts as a condition of the elderly, there are actually a few types of cataracts, and I had a type that afflicts people in middle age. As a result, I had surgery on both eyes (on separate occasions, of course) for removal of cataracts, and both of those procedures were done while I was in my early 50s.

Following surgery, I was no longer bothered by sun glare or the glare from oncoming headlights, and, because the type of lens that is inserted in your eyes can improve your vision, I came away from surgery with better vision than I had when I was in my 30s!

I strongly suggest an ophthalmological exam for your wife.

Do you mean the top of the dash board ? …use a ‘‘dash topper’’ cover you can buy. ( all 3 of my trucks have them, felt type fabric in matching or coordinating color )
If you mean outside the windshied , aka the cowl panel, like between the hood and the windshield…take some sand paper to it so it’s not shiny anymore.
Next step…
If polarized sunglasses don’t help,
Carry a pillow in the car, just for those times of day, on which she’ll sit and change the angle of view. ( a pillow like you buy for your kitchen chairs )