Wheel Noise when brake pedal released

Using mobile phone, so please bear with my brevity here.

Wife has an '06 Tucson. Noise like brakes squealing, but it occurs when you’re NOT pressing the pedal.

The noise gets louder as the car goes faster, but the pitch of the squeal doesn’t go up.

Any help is appreciated. As always.

Could be the brake pad’s wear indicator, making noise to indicate it is time to get them serviced.
Brake pads are supposed to float on the rotor by means of the way they are mounted in the caliper. The caliper has these float pins that allows it to move laterally. Those pins are supposed to be greased every brake service. They are protected by a rubber boot. It could be that moisture or dirt got behind the boot, causing the assembly not to ‘float’.
Take the wheels off the ground and spin the wheel to see if it is one wheel, all wheels and maybe identify where it is coming from.

Time for new brakes.

Sounds like the brake pad wear indicator. They often make tons of noise when the brakes are released, but will quiet when they are released. It’s intended to annoy you into taking the car to a mechanic and getting it fixed before something bad happens.

So, the brakes will squeal, then, when I’m NOT pushing the pedal down?

Seems to me they’d squeal when the brakes are applied…

Yes, the brakes make noise when you are not pushing on the petal to indicate worn brake pad(s). When the wear indicators touch the caliper it means the brake pad(s) are worn to the point they need to be replaced.

If you keep driving as is, soon the sound you’ll hear will be a grinding noise and that will be when you apply the brakes. Once the grinding starts you will need to replace the calipers and the brake pads. At this point the calipers might still be OK. The shop that does the brake job will measure the calipers and sometimes they can be resurfaced and sometimes not.

“The shop that does the brake job will measure the calipers and sometimes they can be resurfaced and sometimes not.”

I think that Uncle Turbo meant to say, “rotors”, rather than “calipers”.

If the OP continues to drive with the truck in its present condition, the next step will indeed be a grinding noise as the rotors are gouged by the remains of the brake pads and its rivets. So, a prompt brake job may well save the rotors. However, if they were ever previously resurfaced, the rotors will need to be replaced if they are damaged.

Thanks all. I knew about the pads eventually wearing down, followed by the rotors and calipers. I had never experienced the squealing when the brakes AREN’T applied.

In any case, front pads needed to be changed. I’m so glad I know how to change brakes. A shop will easily charge $100. Parts store charges $27 (plus afternoon in the cold weather). But, no more squealing!

Right On ! Right On ! Right On !
Now You Know. Go CCarr !

CSA