What's a car worth as parts/scrap?

Supposing one were to buy a car cheap (say, impound or from a wreck). Then, one takes the car back to the “bat cave,” and proceeds to strip all the high-value parts off of it (i.e. the cat, plus any Al+Cu parts). Once the high-vaule stuff is stripped, the remainder is sold as scrap.

Granted, some of the stuff might be salable as “auto parts” for added value, but–worst case scenario, where everything goes to the scrap yard–what could one get for an average-sized car?

Depends on where you are and the market for scrap metal and if you prep and deliver or not,probaly in the neighborhood of$50-$100-Kevin

Regardless of the value of the parts and resulting scrap when extricated, we can’t lightly dismiss the labor involved in this exercise. So costly has it been until recently, that mountains of unused scrap existed throughout the country for years. I’d do the math at the “bat cave” and only consider the net value.

Scrap iron, steel, aluminum, and copper prices have really dropped with the recession, so you might want to check that first!

they’re paying by the pound, so if you did a good job of stripping it, not much.

and dont even think about adding weight. then you’d never be able to show your face around there again.

Agree; they (a scrap yard) pay by the pound; when I took my Dodge Colt in they paid 2cents/lb and I got $40! It may be up to 3 cents/lb by now, so a 3000 lb car will get you $90 or so.

Auto recyclers make money by stripping of the good parts for resale, then sell the remaining carcass to the shredders. A car less than 10 years old with good recoverable part will get you more, depending on the market for the parts.

Don’t even think about being able to make money on this yourself, unless you do your own “disassembling” and selling the parts yourself. Your neighbors won’t like you doing this.

0-100 bucks.

Depending on the car, parting it out yourself could net you a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. (More if it’s something exotic and expensive)

I think I got around 2000 bucks for my wrecked Miata’s parts, and I could have gotten more if I didn’t need to clear the space so soon. (600 of that was the Torsen LSD.)

It’s a lot of work, though.

The dollar is as weak as it’s been since I’ve been alive, though. That bouys commodity prices in dollar terms.

about $65 per ton/

Boneyard are linked into the supply chains for body shops as well as the “used parts” supply chain for DIY consumers. they’re also tied into the used parts cyber network. They can part out cars and make a profit.

For an individual to parts out a car and make a profit over what he/she might have sold it for “as-is” or “as a parts car” is pretty tough. Unless, of course, the parts have a uniqe demand, like you’re selling the flathead from a rotted '32.

Half the weight of a modern car is “fluff”, garbage the recyclers must pay to dispose of. But first they must separate the wheat from the chaff, an expensive and time-consuming process…To turn a car into #1 steel scrap takes a lot of time, effort and money…They can’t afford to pay much for the raw material…

irrelevent, but here I go: you dont hop-up a '32 flathead, you use a '40 or later. their overall stronger. unless your a resto guy, dont use a '32 block and heads.