What to do with a 1998 V70 Volvo, 170k miles with a (possibly) faulty MAF? Repair or not?

I have a 1998 V70 Volvo with 170k miles and a possibly faulty MAF. I’ve not yet had her diagnosed, but per my research about what I experienced I am assuming the MAF is the culprit. She is in “fair” condition, but I am on the fence about whether to fix this or just move on. But who would accept a vehicle that doesn’t even run for any sort of trade-in value? Advice appreciated! Thanks!

Your vehicle is worth about $1500 in a private party sale if it’s running. I would sell the car for parts or as a “fixer upper.” You could then use that money to help buy another vehicle. I would not take a chance with the MAF repair unless a very good mechanic would guarantee the fix. I don’t see that happening so my advice about selling the car will save you money in the long run.

@‌MegReg

If I may . . . why are you leaning towards the MAF?

What are the symptoms?

Fuel trim issues?

Won’t start reliably?

A high quality MAF isn’t going to cost the world . . . a few hundred, I would imagine

But I suggest you be very sure of your diagnosis, before you thrown down the cash

By the way, what exactly does “per my research” mean?

Diagnosis using a multimeter, scan tool, etc. . . . ?

Or guys talking on some forum . . . other than this one?