2800 for reman tranny in '98 v70xc/awd

My odometer reads ~215k, and the mechanic said he’s seen some with 400k if they’re taken care of. (I’m not concerned with recovering the current value so much as basic transportation and cargo capability.) Is it better to look for another vehicle or fix the one I’ve got?

If this is all it needs, then it might be worth it. If every other part is a day away from rusting off the frame, not so much

Yeah, well, I’d ask the mechanic to line up all of his '98 v70s with 400K miles on them so you can see them for yourself. It won’t be a long line.

Volvos from the 60s and 70s could go 400K miles. Newer Volvos, not so much. You’ve already got the best there is (was) to be had from your car. If your transmission lasted 215K, you’re one of the lucky ones.

I wouldn’t put a new transmission into any vehicle with over 200,000 miles on the clock. Especially a Volvo. At this point you should seriously consider whether or not your car will become a money pit. Think long and hard about this, and do some research.

I know Volvo people love their cars, and want to keep them forever. If you’re one of them I only have one question: How much are you willing to spend?

You’re already considering $2,800. What’s next?

If your car has been garaged from day one, and looks it, then maybe it’s worth putting a new transmission in it. Otherwise, I’d say it’s time to move on. Not easy to do, I know. There’s a huge dearth of station wagons on the market.

It’s your car and your money. Good luck.

What’s your financial situation? If the rest of the car’s in good condition but your bank account, not so much you may need to do the repair and save up for another car.

Thanks, mcparadise, for the perspective on newer Volvos. I’ll check with the mechanic to see whether he was referring to the newer models reaching 400k.

Also, admittedly based on your criteria, I’d have to move on. So what’s the most mileage should I expect out of a newer-but-used Volvo? I’ve seen a 2004 v70xc with 74k for 12k. Would you consider that worth looking into - or is that mileage too high? (I’m not necessarily tied to this model. It’s just that it’s a known quantity, and I consider the local, indie Volvo mechanic reliable.)

Thanks also, williamclang, for your response. Again I just need basic transportation and some cargo capability. If I had a high confidence level that I could get another 5 years @50k miles on this vehicle, then I’d do the repair, but I doubt if my mechanic could make that claim. Also, I’m still waiting to hear from him on the results of his further inspection at my request as to whether he thinks any other major repair would be needed any time soon. (He replaced my valves about 3 years ago for ~3k, and they’re holding up fine. Also, I check the oil level every month.)

Otherwise, I’ve been advised to look for a replacement vehicle, not necessarily Volvo, that’s no older than 2008 with no more than 10k miles per year.

Your thoughts? and thanks again in advance.

Sorry for the delay, but thanks also, realbinky.

Everyone, here’s the latest update on the vehicle status from my indie, Volvo mechanic.

Done…
Item (parts & labor)
ABS module (400)

Critical…
Reman’d tranny (2800) (otherwise presumably(?) I can continue to shift manually)
Tires (400)
Timing belts @210K+ (150)
Oil cooler hose (192)
Rear brake pads (122)
Upper torque mount (85)
Total (4282)

Plus…
Other non-critical items like rear hatch support pistons (468)

I admit nothing is certain, but with the above fixes I’m “projecting” that I can get another 3-5 years and 30k-50k miles out of this vehicle. 1) It’s a “known” quantity, and 2) that’s still cheaper than a 200-300 monthly car note even for a used, yet equivalent replacement vehicle.

Again, your thoughts, please, anyone?

Best,
cb4cartalk

Does that quote include parts AND labor?

Yes, parts AND labor, and thanks in advance.

Best,
cb4cartalk

What is keeping your mechanic from being concerned with the engine simply wearing out? The statement that you already have gotten the best out of this car was probably true. I would be thinking about the what is next also. Your moving into an area where no one would be suprised at any part on the car simply wearing out. I am thinking mainly of engine, cat. converter and the main accessories (like AC).

What engine is in this car? I just noticed the awd, boy that stuff can’t be cheap to repair.

Engine is 2.4L, I5. He’s already replaced the valves 3 yrs ago. Otherwise, the short block usually lasts much longer, he claims. As for cat. converter & AC, are they due to be replaced as well?

Best,
cb4cartalk

Hi cb4cartalk!

I just installed a rebuilt tranny to my '98 XC 70 wagon. It cost me $3,000 for the installation, parts and labor. A few caveats to consider:

–make certain the mechanic knows this car, and reinstalls the parts needed to be taken apart, which are not related to the tranny. I had to return the car, because the mechanic disconneted electrical things, and then I got false warning lights! All is well now, but the shop was 85 miles one-way from where I live.

–keep a record of any strange noises, warning lights, etc., after the installation. Call the tranny mechanic, and get the odd items corrected.

$3k was the lowest price estimate I got, here in S. California. So if your mechanic can do the work for less, you are doing well. Get more than one estimate, and query the mechanic about his or her experience with Volvos. It might help to go to a Volvo dealer, and get a recommendation–most dealers want their customers to have the best independent service, which their own garage can’t take on.

I wish you the best.

Mohabee Serrano