What is with the ads all of a sudden?

You would think that George would know that .

@keith Hey there. Iā€™m Julie, the managing editor of Car Talk.

We are sorry for the ads in Community. As you know, we are not doing the show since Tom left us. We have maintained a completely free website since the 1990s, where you can find all sorts of articles about anything automotive, without paying a dime for it. We run our vehicle donation program, put out the podcast, and answer Dear Car Talks. We do all of this for our readers and fans for free.

The only way we can keep the lights on is to run a small amount of ads. This is only on Community. You wonā€™t find ads on our CarTalk.com main site.

Pop up blockers should help!

Wishing you the best,
Julie

3 Likes

Oooo, donā€™t say that! Edit that out. The advertisers might get upset. Let me do it. :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: @Mustangman

1 Like

7.19.24 update: In post 14 above (7.16.24) I asked if anyone else was seeing ads displayed in the forums for treating infectious parasites. Apparently I was the only one on the receiving end; good news, I noticed immediately after I entered post 14, within a second or two those unpleasant ads completely disappeared, and so far have never returned. Progress!

I do appreciate all you do for us and I do understand the need to allow some ads to be run. I donā€™t mind that and I donā€™t use a pop-up blocker or ad blocker.

The day I made this post, there was an unusual amount of ads, much like one of those click-bait sites so I was wondering if you got infected with something that took control of the side and pushed those ads.

My post was just to ask what happened and if you were aware of it. Anyway, when I came back to the site later, it was back to normal and has been ever since.

You guys do a great job by the way.

1 Like

I found Car Talk about 1994 and thereā€™s been a lot of changes. For a while Amazon controlled the site, I donā€™t recall when ads entered the scene but they have at times become very annoying but today they arenā€™t. If I knew how to keep the pop-ups out it would be a great help.

I had no problems until yesterday. A new kind of ad taking up the whole screen (iPhone), and Iā€™m supposed to scroll to get to the discussion. Problem is, it covers the top of the discussion. Not to mention I donā€™t need diapers, at least for an infantā€¦

Recently, I seldom see ads. I use google chrome. It seems ads are all blocked

The above post by a new user has a business name . Why do I think stealth Spam ?

This time Iā€™ll agree with you.

And you can thank ā€œsocialā€ media platforms, or sewers, such as Fakebook, X, and Instascam for the decline in new memberships, and proliferation of, bots on moderated subject forums such as Car Talk, etc.

Well that is BS, I use Google Chrome and have lots of ads, some days worse than othersā€¦ but I have also been on here more than 2 daysā€¦ lol

Is there an ad bock feature in Chrome? @orientalautodecoration_190924 may have it activated if itā€™s available.

Screenshot 2024-08-14 095944

That is what my settings are set onā€¦ I guess that is correctā€¦lol

I still get loads of popups, even with the same selection as you did.

1 Like

Yeah Google says it more or less slows them down and not a stopperā€¦ I guess it is a 60% ad blocker? :rofl:

1 Like

Businesses that internet-advertise presumably donā€™t want there to be an easy way to block ads. Iā€™m guessing thatā€™s part of the reason the ad-blocking doesnā€™t work very well.

Personally I donā€™t mind seeing static ads in the thread at all. When they make the entire thread bounce up and down as they pop in and out is what is very annoying. I wish that part could be changed.

Made the mistake of saying I would never rent a car from hertz. Then I got their ads for the next three days. AI I suspect.

It wouldnā€™t bother me much if I was presented with Hertz ads for three days. Does anyone remember those 60ā€™s Hertz tv ads where the customer drops from the sky into the car seat? He was dropping so fast, I always wondered why his feet didnā€™t go right through the floor??? ā€¦ lol ā€¦

Sure do. I even had a dream when those ads were on tv where if someone jumped off a cliff and landed in the seat of a convertible, they got to keep it. I won the car, of course. Iā€™m pretty sure that I was under ten at the time.