What is it with music everywhere we go?

This will cure it:

:smiley:

2 Likes

I agree, but can you figure out why the manager of my local supermarket–which is patronized almost entirely by people in their 60s and above–would have chosen to play Head Banger music on the store’s PA system?

Because that’s what he likes. Do you think he cares about his customers?

Bob Widlar was ahead of his time when he “fixed” the annoying speaker outside his office with a cherry bomb:

http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/anablog/4311277/Bob-Widlar-cherry-bombs-the-intercom-speaker-item-2

The supermarket I work for has always played some sort of music over the system , it’s pretty much background noise to the employees but the more upbeat tunes have gotten positive comments such as they shopped more and bought more because of the music. But it really depends on what channel the manager has set it to. Some are much better than others.

On a sad note, Godzilla died today. Well, the actor inside the suit of the original Japanese Godzilla died. In honor of his passing, a local adult alternative station played three different Godzilla inspired songs, as well as the musical lead in to the movie. The last one was - you’re right - Blue Oyster Cult. I turned it up LOUD and enjoyed one of the best head banger songs ever. Magnificent! And real art. You can just feel the big lizard rocking Tokyo as the guitars blare.

Clearly not, but at least he finally yielded to pressure from a lot of customers.

You must be younger than me 'cause I don’t even know what head banger music is.

It’s just another term for Heavy Metal noise.
:rage:

Wah, wah, wah.

There is good music in all genres if you are willing to listen for it.

While I admire the virtuosity of ELP, I prefer more festive and merry Christmas music, like Leroy Anderson’s “Sleigh Ride” over dark and gloomy dirges. Like Linus Van Pelt said to Charlie Brown, “only you can take a wonderful season like Christmas and turn it into a problem!”
About the only place I still listen to music anymore is in my car while coming home from work. We have one station that goes all Christmas music 24-7 starting around Thanksgiving and I crank up the volume when Boston Pops version of “Sleigh Ride” plays.

A few years back, we were listening to the performance of a female singer songwriter in a coffee shop. It was raining hard outside and suddenly the power went out and stayed out. The rest of the show was by candle light and “unplugged”. During that power outage, she sang an absolutely stunning version of “O Holy Night”, just her and an un-amplified guitar.

Some of the best “country” music came from non-country bands.

This was from back when Brian Jones was still in the band and it’s Brian playing the slide guitar.

Reminded me. We drove there by bus anyway. Back in 1966 we were on a Spring college concert tour of South Dakota. One of the pieces we did was “Lost in the Night” by F Melius Christiansen. We were in Poluck, SD and it was a snow storm out and we were singing in the school auditorium. Just as we began signing the words “Lost in the night . . .” the power went out and we were in total darkness. We tried to continue but needed the music sheets and couldn’t see our conductor anyway so we just stumbles a little. Lights came back on in a few minutes and we started over. I thought it might have been an act of God or something.

None here either but with no self serve and the pump even with my rear bumper I couldn’t see a screen anyway.

I figure I can drink at home and watch the TV channel I choose. As far as saving money. Drunk driving convictions are extremely expensive.

To elaborate on my question (I’m the OP), I realized what upset me about the music at the car dealer’s. Most places I can walk out if I find the music too loud or distracting. Here, I had to wait for my car to be repaired. No choice except going outside and walking around (on a busy highway with no sidewalks)

If you have a smart phone, you can listen to something else with sound muffling headphones.

At my Subaru dealership, they don’t play any music, but they do have a TV (tuned to Faux News) spewing venom to anyone who might be in the waiting area. Aside from the toxic political content, the volume of the audio makes it difficult for me to concentrate on the book that I always bring with me when I am in a waiting room situation.

Luckily, the remote control for that TV is readily accessible, so if there are other people in the waiting area, I ask, “Does anyone mind if I reduce the audio volume?”. It seems that everyone else in the waiting area was just waiting for someone to have the gumption to take the initiative, and the other folks always say, “NO, please turn it down!”. :thinking:

The best times are when I am the only person in the waiting area, as that gives me the opportunity to just shut the TV off.

1 Like

IMO, many (most?) people just follow whatever everyone else is doing. I notice this especially at traffic lights. There are two lanes turning left at an intersection near me. Almost everyone gets into the left lane no matter how long the line is. I almost always use the right lane. Shortly after the turn, the two lanes merge. Like many merges in MD, there are no yield signs. Drivers are supposed to be adults and take turns merging. Mrs JT uses the left lane, saying she doesn’t have to merge that way, but she does have to merge if there is a car in the right lane. I don’t understand her reasoning. I also don’t have to make anything out of it and precipitate an arguement. Sometimes it’s best to just keep my fat mouth shut.

From my perspective, the biggest problem with “double turn lanes” is that–at most–only ~20% of the drivers are capable of maintaining their lane. A few years ago, in an effort to curtail traffic backups at a busy intersection near me, the County Highway folks created a second left turn lane. I try to avoid that intersection as much as possible because every time that I use it, I observe people who can’t seem to negotiate the turn while staying on their side of the line, and the number of close calls is
 astounding.

:unamused: