What do you think about the new Nissan Cube 2009?

The Highway Loss Data Institute considers the Cube a top safety pick for 2010 (2009, too):

Did I! I drove it all over Montana, Idaho and Wyoming for work and had to drive it up some pretty gnarly ski area service roads and the like. I was actually quite impressed by it’s performance in the snow, especially after we ditched the crummy tires that came with it in favor of some slightly more aggressive all-seasons.

We don’t get the most fuel efficient engines in the US, nor do we get the 3rd row seat version.

Also, the previous generation looked way better.

the ones with the giant red ( | )

No, it isn’t. Take a look at the Nissan Xterra. The rear window is oddly shaped to make room for a first aid kit.

the whole car design came about like this: “hey, lets make a car that looks like the shipping crate!”. “ok” said the design department.

and that is the story of the cube. depressing isnt it?

but buying a used car is waaaay better then buying new. depreciation is a killer. 1k gone, as soon as you drive of the lot.

The Pacer had asymmetric doors.

The current Element gets a “good” in IIHS side impact tests. The lack of a B pillar isn’t a problem if the doors are made so that they can lock in place in an impact (better still if they can still open afterward, but there’s always the other side. That’s probably what they focused on to achieve their current results.

The “Roadgoing Toaster” styling is more form following function. Those cars have so much usable space it’s unbelievable. A 1st generation Scion xB has more rear leg room than a lot of cars weighing 1000 pounds more, and significantly longer.

Also, the xB’s crash performance wasn’t bad at all: http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/english/2002/as115.html

The Ford Transit Connect is designed first and foremost as a work vehicle. Its look is connected to its whole reason for being.

http://www.nasva.go.jp/mamoru/english/2003/10.html

That’s the previous generation. The current does not appear to be up yet. I’m not sure if they’ve had to crash test it in the US or not. If data don’t show up on safercar.gov or iihs.org, chances are you’ll find something at that site.

Oh, and I don’t know, but Canada might have a similar site.

The drive appears to be enjoyable, smooth, and easy because it’s a brand new vehicle.
Many vehicle traits that appear to be pleasant at first may wear off pretty quickly once ownership takes hold.
I only say this because while working for car dealers I’ve seen more than a few people decide a few months after buying a vehicle that the “seats MUST be altered”, the “arm rests have to be changed”, the “pedal positions are not comfortable”, and so on and so forth.

The sheer looks of those things would have me screaming and running for the hills.
With a plastic Wal Mart bag pulled over the head and cinched tightly around the neck it might be tolerable… :slight_smile:

Maybe there’s a reason an '09 is still sitting around (known as a “lot lizard”) on the dealer lot.
The Nissan dealer here has a couple of Cubes that have been sitting there for about 6 months so something about them is turning people off.

I’m of the opinion there are better options out there and I think the Cube is going to be a vehicle with a short production life. You asked for opinions, so you got mine.

That would be a Babboon unless I have my monkeys crossed, I am no expert at red a**** but I do watch Fox News.

Why is no one talking about engine design,fuel injection type,transmission type or even ease of service. Is it all styling and percieved safety (we all know safety sits with the driver not the car).

That’s also the Japanese test not the U.S. spec saftey test. Here is the U.S.IIHS rating for the 1st gen XB in a side impact test

It did well in the front impact test though

Off course all these tests are of the car running into a static object. In a collision with another vehicle the odds are against you since the XB only weighs in at around 2450 pounds, less than many economy cars.

“Here is the U.S.IIHS rating for the 1st gen XB in a side impact test …”

But violet wants a Cube. The IIHS/HLDI has crash ratings for it. Se my post above for the 2009/2010 Cube.

“Off course all these tests are of the car running into a static object. In a collision with another vehicle the odds are against you since the XB only weighs in at around 2450 pounds, less than many economy cars.”

You do get at an interesting point. The test runs a car into a deformable barrier that simulates hitting another, similar car - not a brick wall. Unfortunately, the tests do not tell you what would happen if you hit a Suburban. But it does allow a buyer to compare within the same size and weight range.

As with all cars, especially cube models, test drive them in all conditions you may encounter, especially at highway speeds and with loads over roads you normally drive. My feeling is these little square buggers have lots of aerodynamic peculiarities.

I think OP has very unique needs, and the best car may not be the right FIT! A friend of mine has a serious disability as well which prevents him from being able to bend over. He gets driven by his wife in their Dodge Caravan, which has the right amount of headroom.

I can no longer offer him a ride in either one of our cars. OP will shop for the most headroom and seat comfort for the least money. The CUBE excells at this in additon to being a respectable and economical car. Other like the Honda Element (much more expensive) and Scion B would likely fit the bill. At this stage of the game, any discussion about some hypothetical safety advantage or extra mile per gallon is time wasted!

P.S. The Scion is currently not available in Canada but will be soon.

She’s kept her current car for over 16 years, I doubt depreciation is one of her worries

If you buy one I hope it works out well for you and this is only my opinion.

Either a Baboon’s or a Mandrill.

I stand corrected, and that remark about Fox News is HILARIOUS!

Okay, I’ll bite:

The engine on the Cube uses an actual timing chain instead of the timing belt used in the PT Cruiser, so that will lead to lower ownership costs over the lifetime of the vehicle.

The Fuel injection system is your typical multi-port fuel injection, and is extremely reliable, and gives decent power, yet low emissions.

The transmission depends on if you want a 6 speed manual or an automatic.
The CVT transmission has a 10 year 120k mile warranty on it.

Getting at the air filter and the oil filter is incredibly easy, as there is a lot of room in the engine bay, and the oil filter is actually in an easy location to get at.

Also, the Cube comes with a traction control system that limits wheel spin in low traction situations by activating the brake caliper on the wheel that wants to spin wildly.

Personally, if I was in the market for a funky looking box on wheels, I would buy the Cube long before the Scion, the Soul, or the Element.

BC.