Welcome to the New Car Talk Community!

The one feature that I can’t seem to find thus far is the “Submit a Question” button.
Can someone help me locate it?

VDC, it’s that box under “Discussion Rules” on the top right side. For some reason IE9 displays it as very pale grey with white letters, almost impossible to read.

Wow!

To my old eyes, that “very pale gray with white letters” actually appeared to be white.
Only by clicking it did it become truly visible.

That feature definitely needs to be changed–at least for those of us using IE9.

The “Submit a question” button is pretty much invisible for me too. :frowning:

Morning, folks. Nope, the community moderation feature doesn’t even wait for an official Czarina edict or announcement – it went live yesterday. Let the flames begin, and see what happens!

As for the Submit a Question button, I am at a loss, and I’ve put it on a list for the technical gurus to look into. For me, it’s sometimes red, and sometimes whitish-gray, and I switch between both FF and IE. Hey, what can I say? The only code I usually write is the postal variety.

Edit: I’ll find out about file attachments and get back to you, but there’s plenty of community wisdom floating around here about embedding images.

Thanks for your patience, everybody. I’m happy to hear you’re adjusting to the new system.

Nope, no “Attach a File” visible for me (IE9).

Nothing on “attach a file” for me either.

Thanks for checking, texases and DfromSD.

No, I don’t see an “attach a file” link, and I use Google Chrome.

Attaching a file would require storage space on the forum’s server. It’s much better to upload your image to photobucket or a similar site and then link to it from here.

I don’t mind the linking from my PB site, just have to remember which version to use to post the pictures.

It is much better for CarTalk to have you use a service like PhotoBucket but it was easier for me the old way(where you could attach a file or photo,directly). I certainly can adapt but I think this change will discourage readers not so comfortable with the process to not post a picture. There were a few times where the picture really helped define what the OP was talking about.

Sorry,but i prefer the old format. Too much switiching around to read and post.

There’s one thing I really DO like about this new forum platform.

I use typically between 3 and 4 different computers to read the various threads. With the old software, I’d have to go back through threads I’d already read to see if there were new posts. If you’re signed in, this new platform retains the “already read” sections, so you only see the “1 new”, “2 new”, etc. I really like that…a lot. Saves a tremendous amount of bandwidth and time.

The main problem I do see, however, is that it doesn’t refresh properly if you’re using a proxy server. It’s probably some sort of easy fix (updated time?), but I’m not familiar enough with the platform to make a suggestion. It’s a bummer, but nothing an “F5” won’t fix. :slight_smile:

Speaking from a purely technical standpoint, attaching photos directly to a post consumes that specific amount of space in the database, which can grow very quickly consuming an amazing amount of disc space in a relatively short time. It sure is a lot easier the old way, but this way will ensure they can support more threads for longer.

I agree with oldschool…new posters may be discouraged. I’m sure not everyone is familiar with photobucket, etc, and having the ability to upload a picture they just took with their shiny new cellphone directly to the post is a lot easier than going through some 3rd party to upload it, then link to it, all in a forum platform they don’t know. Very discouraging, in fact. IMO, It would be preferable to allow uploads, and keep fewer posts.

I use both Firefox, Chrome and IE to view. As many have said, the “Ask a Question” box is difficult (if not virtually impossible) to see in IE, but a very clear big red button in Firefox (at least for me). That’s a CSS issue, and they’ll figure it out. I’ve done some digging through the CCS files, and I don’t think the div class used has been addressed for all platforms (it’s in the custom.css file).

Just a few thoughts. Hope they’re useful to someone.
Chase

From Where I Sit This New “Improved” Car Talk Community Is One Small Step For Man And One Giant Leap For Mankind . . . BACKWARDS !

I’m one of those guys who doesn’t have the technology or computer savvy to be liking this. I have a $400 PC and a dial-up modem and I don’t use Photo Bucket, Face Book, Twitter, or any of that crap, nor am I interested in it.

Computers, I-Pods, I-Pads, cell phones and that stuff doesn’t float my boat.
I’m here to talk about cars.

I’ve had a car question to submit that requires posting a photo, but forget about it.
I haven’t been here much lately. I’m not enjoying this new stuff and I’ve got other things I can be doing . . . cars.

CSA

I don’t think they believed this was an improvement, but more of a forced change. The old software wasn’t going to be supported anymore, so they had to do something. This is free, (and supported by a large number of folks, too) so if it drives down costs, that’s better for all, isn’t it?

Czarina, can this attachment issue be resolved, or are we destined for 3rd party sites for attachments forevermore? According to vanilla, it’s an available feature you have to “turn on”. Once it’s turned on, the various user roles have to be allowed to upload and/or download.

I’m fine with external sites…but apparently lots of others are not. I’d hate to lose folks like CSA. I can only speak for myself, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of his posts.

HTH

Well, yes, we had to move to a new forum software, but we never intended for our choice to be a step backwards. As we get settled here, we lackeys are working with the folks at Vanilla to build the community features to best meet the needs of both the old-timers and the newbies, regardless of their level of internet savvy.

Posting attachments is a helpful feature for diagnostic and illustrative reasons, and we don’t want to put up any extra obstacles to getting folks the help they need. For some people, registering and posting that first question is hard enough. I’ve been quiet about the attachments for a few days because I don’t have any new info at the moment. I do know that it is on the list of items that I passed on to the developers, and I will let you know definitively whether the need for third party photo hosting will, ahem, kick the (Photo)bucket.

Thanks for the feedback, and for reading up on Vanilla’s features. I think it’s great you’ve wanted to learn more about the software.

On a final, unrelated note: I see as I compose this reply that the text-box scrolling issue in Firefox has been resolved. Wahoo!

Til next time,
Carolyn

Any news on the invisible text in the ask a question button?

Nope, not yet, but it is pretty high on the to-do list. As is moving the search box up toward the top, and labeling it as such.

The caller from Chicago with the bad transmission should go to Auto Tech on Irving Park. Tony’s a really honest mechanic and does good work. http://www.3017autotech.com/Home.asp