Welcome to the New Car Talk Community!

“I haven’t been here much lately.”

Hang in there, CSA. I can’t do without you. Who’s going to defend traditional American manufacturers but you and me, buddy?

cdaquila 3:27PM Report
Nope, not yet, but it is pretty high on the to-do list. As is moving the search box up toward the top, and labeling it as such.

So it sounds like you’re not able to edit static text on the web pages yourself?

That’s correct; I’m not.

How do you start a new discussion topic on the board?

See that box under “Discussion Rules” up top? That’s the nearly-invisible “Ask a question” button.

How do I start a new thread?

See above note

Hello,

A couple of updates for you. A tagging feature can be enabled, which will allow and encourage posters to identify the make and model of the cars they are asking questions about.

We also spoke with the developers at Vanilla, and we will be able to provide WYSIWYG editing. This will allow you to format text as you choose, without requiring you to use the HTML tags.

Still no answer on the mysteriously disappearing Ask a Question button, but it’s on the to-do list. As it turns out, some of the problems that arose immediately following the migrations were a result of programming conflicts with other code on the page, rather than bugs in the Vanilla software itself. As I understand it, some of the code from cars.com caused some aspects of the Car Talk Community site to malfunction. These issues are being resolved.

We’re still in frequent communication with Vanilla staff to determine our options about a number of issues, and I promise to let you know what’s up.

Thank you for your patience, and don’t hesitate to write or comment if you’ve got feedback.
Carolyn

Along With Make & Model, Model-Year Is A Very Desirable Piece Of Info That Should Be Encouraged.

CSA

I see the “Attach a file” link is back! Yay! Thanks…

Hey, y’know, a czarina’s gotta look out for her constituents, right? Stay tuned for WYSIWYG.

I have heard this term “wizzy-wig” - and knew it was one of those computer geek acronyms. But I’ll bet I’m not the only one for whom it only raises a big question mark.

So here is a link for those among us who, like me, are among the “uninitiated”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG

Thanks, cigroller. I should have been clearer. We’ve spoken with the people at Vanilla Forums, and they’re going to enable the ability for people to format their comments and text as they’re writing it, so you’ll be able to, say, bold or italicize your comments without having to use html tags, with an interface that looks similar to what you use in Microsoft Word or other word processing programs.

Why Do Some Contributors Have A 204 Rank And Others A 205 Rank ?
CSA

I’m not certain how the 204/205 ranks are assigned, because that is not something designated by us Car Talk folk. However, I did check the permissions associated with each of the roles (Rank 1, Rank 204, and Rank 205) and they all have the same abilities, which include logging in, viewing and posting comments/discussions, and uploading attachments. Will let you know if I find anything out.

FYI: The tagging has been enabled, so you should be able to add tags to new discussions.

Definitely getting there. Can the text be changed so instead of just “Tags”, it specifies what a tag might be?

IMO “Year/Make/Model/Engine/Transmission” would be a good bit to put in a set of (). If we need more, I think we can ask. Others may have a different opinion, maybe more comments will follow.

i have a 2006 subaru legacy wagon, 2.5gt, which calls for 21545zr17 tires-
can i get any bigger thickness on it- i live in the city and the pot holes and such keep giving me sidewall bubbles

Please start a new thread for questions that don’t involve the thread your posting in.

i can’t figure that out_ not good with computers really and didn’t see a way to ask a new question from the menu