Weird driving laws

A lot of states in the U.S. had “blue laws” when I was growing up, prohibiting the opening of retail enterprises on Sundays. We had them in NH. We used to ride our go kart in the parking lot of the local shopping center, which was closed down on Sundays. It was considered the “lord’s day”.

I noticed our local Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays. I don’t know if it’s true, but I was told that the company was owned be a religious southern family that wouldn’t open their stores on Sundays.

I grew up with that in the 1950s. The business district in the capitol city was a virtual ‘ghost town’ on Sundays. A couple of grocery stores and service stations (which did not have the current convenience store and actually provided maintenance and repair) were the only things open. If I remember correctly it was called a blue law.

I see loads of crap hanging from rear view mirrors. Since many mirrors are glued to the windshield I wonder how many suffer an early demise when gravity works. I read an article 2 or 3 decades ago concerning door mounted flame throwers being used in South Africa to discourage carjackers. Although none were ever used here some idiot legislator trying to pretend they were actually doing something managed to get them prohibited although I think they already are by the National Firearms Act of 1934 being destructive devices.

I have witnessed this which so far is not legal here but (unless you are suicidal) right of way always goes to the bigger vehicle. Only European immigrants and visitors know how to use a roundabout in the USA. Our drivers appear to be mostly clueless.

1 Like

When I lived in ND Grocery stores were closed on sunday, and convenience marts were limited in wht they could sell, Looks like they lightened up and now open at noon on Sunday. MN no liquor stores or car lots open on Sunday, WI still no car lots open on Sunday.

Oh yeah forgot, no car sales on Sunday in Minnesota either. Same as liquor sales the car dealers and liquor stores don’t want to be open Sunday so they have to have a law.

What the heck . . . ?!

Say you work M-F, as most people probably do

So that leaves just Saturday to do your car shopping . . . ?!

Yup!
You probably can’t even begin to believe the road congestion in and around Paramus, NJ (the shopping hub of Bergen County) on Saturdays.

By eliminating Sundays for most shopping needs, the locals who supposedly like “The Blue Law” create massive gridlock on their roads every Saturday.
Besides not being able to shop for a car on Sundays, you also can’t buy clothing, or appliances, or home improvement supplies on Sundays in that county.
Absolutely insane…IMHO…

Oh, C’mon, I lived through the “blue laws” and I never saw any of these side effects. Everyone made do.
I have no opinion on whether they’re good or bad, but everyone survived fine.

1 Like

Unless they are of another religion which is sure that Saturday is the “Sabbath”. I quit any formal religion when I was 13 years old. My religion has one member. The rules are simple and golden. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

3 Likes

Besides NH and SD–neither of which are noted for high traffic density–have you ever lived in a state with extremely high traffic density?
NJ has the highest traffic density in the entire US, and–trust me–you would not be happy about being caught in the massive gridlock that takes place on Saturdays in Bergen County, when the locals have to do all of their weekend shopping.

Years ago, we also “made do” without air conditioning and central heating.
Folks used to “make do” with outhouses, instead of indoor plumbing.
Just as the march of time led most of us to expect modern conveniences, and to avoid situations where we are deprived of them, I would submit that “Blue Laws” are outmoded and–in the case of the traffic problems resulting from those statutes–can waste a lot of time and gasoline for those who have to endure them.

4 Likes

you have indoor plumbing?

2 Likes

Yes, I have indoor plumbing–as of last year.
Would you like my old outhouse?

hmmm would the price include delivery?

1 Like

Oh how we zig and zag. Poor Carolyn is trying to get some time off. While dealers extend their hours during the week to like 9-10:00 for the working folks, I do believe these laws should be ruled unconstitutional if the state legislators don’t have the guts to get rid of them, which they don’t in Minnesota. Like I said my opinion goes back to a Rotary luncheon in high school and a conversation with a local department store owner. The need for the blue laws is pure bunk.

1 Like

Absolutely!
And, for today and today only, I will include the flies residing therein at no extra cost.
:poop:

And, just to keep this on an automotive footing, I will do the delivery in my neighbor’s Hudson pickup truck!

2 Likes

In OK the liquor stores used to stay open until 10 P.M. The legislature in their infinite wisdom decided that if liquor stores were forced to close at 9 P.M. any drunk driving problems would be resolved.

But if you head to the liquor store BEFORE 9PM, to buy your booze, you’ve got all night to get good and drunk, and cause trouble

So the legislature figured people can’t get drunk and cause trouble if the liquor store’s already closed . . . ?!

sounds like the legislature should be arrested for stupidity

1 Like

“arrested for stupidity” … if you did that, there would be no legislators left.

What I always found strange is where you can buy various kinds of booze.

In PA, where I sometimes visit, you go to a “distributor” to get beer, and that is usually operated out of a warehouse. You can get wine at a wine shop, and stronger stuff at a state liquor store (at least that is how I remember it.) Some chain supermarkets have started carrying beer, but they are required to have a separate checkout for it, you have to carry it out to your car and return to buy groceries.

1 Like

VDC, did you live in NJ under “blue laws”?