OMFGGF's WTF?

Jacksonville Confidential: OMFGGF’s WTF?

“Adjunct staff member Tom sent these pictures from the Westside over the weekend. Just check out this extreme ridiculousness.”

http://www…s-wtf.html

Ok - I have to say that is over the top.

But I’ll also say that I have often lamented the fact that my kids (ok - older than that) will never know the joy of (legally) tooling down the road in the back of a pickup truck. I loved it as a kid - and miraculously I somehow managed to live through it.

As I said though - I’m not condoning what those folks are doing. Its just something that came to mind.

There is a possibility the kid seats are strapped in, which would then be legal (varies state to state), remembering the days of road trips riding in the back of my Ranchero while girlfriend drove, no seat belt of course but a wonderful ride.

I sat in the back of many pickups and on the tailgate of many station wagons. I too loved it, but I almost got hurt seriously several times. I’m glad today’s laws are in place.

Child seats probably well secured to the bed.
Mother not and may crush a kid if frontal impact.
But her two “cushions” will probably cushion the child.

Likely short distance at low speed.
No big deal.

Yeah, yeah, big deal. And when the kids get older they’ll probably be allowed to play outside without adult supervision. The horror!

Some Of The People Who Are Shocked By This Would Never Believe The Way We Traveled As Kids Before There Were Laws In Place That Restricted Every Aspect Of One’s Life.

I often wonder which is worse, the danger caused by freedom or the safety that results from legislation, and then it only takes a second for me to long for the days when we were free.

There are many ways irresponsible parents screw up their offspring. When the way involves perceived obvious physical danger, onlookers want legal action.

Like Cigroller, I miss the days when people were free to be wise or idiots.

You can choose your friends, but you can’t choose you relatives (parents included).

CSA

I am sure some of you guys are okay when God “thins the heard” every once in a while, but I believe protecting infants and toddlers from this kind of unnecessary risk is a moral imperative.

I have a question for some of you guys who want this kind of behavior to be legal. What if it was your grandchild in the back? What if it was your niece or nephew? Would you still be so callous?

You Will Never Be Able To Pass Enough New Laws Or Enforce Enough Existing Laws To Protect People From All The Idiotic Things Other People Do.

I was in a store one time when a father was fitting his young children with vibrant new hunter’s orange safety hats. During a discussion with the store employee, both the employee and I were quite surprised to learn that the hats weren’t for hunting safety.

The father explained it by saying, “They need these hats because they play on the highway.”

CSA

When some of us were kids, that was US in the back of the truck. Or standing up in the back seat. Or leaning out the window. The dashboards were metal and there were no seat belts.

Unnecessary risk? Those kids are in rear facing child seats, aren’t they? Isn’t that how they’re supposed to be transported? How do you know the child seats are not firmly attached to the vehicle? I doubt it, but it’s possible. We don’t know for sure.

Get a life people…Is what this family does ANY of your business?? You think this is outrageous?? You need to do a little driving south of the border where a dozen people can find room “in the back”…Is it dangerous? You bet. Does anyone care? Not at all. it’s called “Freedom”, a concept Gringos only know in abstract terms…

When some of us were kids, that was US in the back of the truck. Or standing up in the back seat. Or leaning out the window. The dashboards were metal and there were no seat belts.

That’s true, but there a number of people from our particular generations who aren’t able to speak in this forum because they sustained severe brain injuries, and are either dead or being fed through a tube in a semiconscious state. I guess it is easy to forget about the damage of severe brain trauma if it didn’t happen to someone you know.

I volunteer to speak on behalf of those who didn’t survive these risks, since they obviously aren’t represented here.

“Get a life people…Is what this family does ANY of your business??”

It’s my business because I will have to pay for their hospital bills while they “live” their lives in a vegetative state. You will, too. That’s also why motorcycle helmet laws make sense.

And what’s this “Freedom” stuff? Driving is a privilege that you receive in return for meeting society’s expectations. It’s not your road, it’s our road, and you have to live up to our expectations to deserve your license.

I have to agree with you. When I was growing up in the 1940’s and early 1950’s, we thought it was great fun to ride in the bed of a pick-up truck. My dad traded with a small garage about a mile down the road from where we lived. The owner would often let my dad use his truck. My brother and I would beg to ride home in the bed–we thought that was great stuff. I was reminded of riding in the rear end of the truck in the film “Norma Rae” about the southern working woman, played by Sally Field, who organized the workers in the linen mill. There is one scene where she goes out on a picnic date with her kids and her future husband’s kids in a pick-up truck. The kids have to ride in the bed. I suppose that scene should be censored out of the film when it is run on television.

If you must meet societies expectations, you are not free…

in India, it is common practice to cling on to the back of a van at highway “speed” (heavy traffic doesnt allow much more then 50).
also, when traveling by taxi, only the people sitting on the seat pay. you can have 6 people on top of each other, and only 1 pays the cash.

and beside, there in town, where speed is limited to 35 MPH. you think the driver doesnt take extra precaution? the only reason they arent safe is the complete morons with cell phones!

just stay out of their buisness.

Driving on public highways is not a birthright. It’s a privilege. In order to make it “safe enough” for the masses, there are rules that we must adhere to.

This has nothing to do with being free or not. If you believe it is, then you must agree that anyone is entitled to drive down your street at 100 mph when your kids/grandkids are playing outside.

“If you must meet societies expectations, you are not free…”

I agree with JoeMario. Your would have us all live as anarchists, and that is a sure recipe for disaster, IMO.

"Driving on public highways is not a birthright. It’s a privilege. In order to make it “safe enough” for the masses, there are rules that we must adhere to.

This has nothing to do with being free or not. If you believe it is, then you must agree that anyone is entitled to drive down your street at 100 mph when your kids/grandkids are playing outside."

The activities in the pictures that brought outrage have NOTHING to do with YOUR safety or well being…It’s simply none of your business. If the guy driving the truck got into a wreck, then he would have a big problem wouldn’t he?? But you know, he DIDN’t get into a wreck, he drove home just fine without any problems and the last thing he needs is busybody’s BS opinions of what MIGHT have happened…

Why is driving a “privilege”?? Because some politician says it is??

How do you define your freedom? In reality, every aspect of your life is controlled by the Government. That’s not “Freedom”…To me, “Freedom” means I can do anything I want as long as my activities have no negative impact on YOU…

Driving is a privilege because you have to ask the state to let you do it. They test you any way they want, and you get the license if they let you have it. And the state can take it away any time they think it is in the best interest of society. Every time you get a new license, you agree to that.

“To me, “Freedom” means I can do anything I want as long as my activities have no negative impact on YOU.”

No fooling. So, you can do anything you want, including breaking any law you want, just so long as you don’t think it hurts anyone? I don’t think so.