Water for gas

Has anyone used a Water for Gas Hybrid Conversion kit? Do They work? Are there any safey hazzards?

I have been checking out the inernet looking for better ways to save gas. I have come accross many sites talking about a simple anyone can do water hybrid that works on all gas engines to double gas mileage. It sounds too good to be true. I worry about the Brown Gas. Is it safe? Does it really work? Can anyone do it?

My, such persistence!

No, Elvis told me just the other day that it didn’t work when he tried it in his flying saucer. YMMV.

It only works for people who wear aluminum foil hats. Are you one of those?

I spent $68.00 yesterday filling up a Camery; if wearing an aluminum foil hat saves me money I will do it. Thank you for the very helpful answer. I thought this was a real Q&A site with experts not idiots.

Gee, are the spammers fighting back, or did we stumble upon a real person?

If you’re a spammer, go away. If you’re a ‘real’ person who’s actually curious about this, it’s a scam. It will not, and can not work.

Well, for crying out loud! If you’re a legitimate forum user, why didn’t you notice the scads of posts on this scam? As it was, when I responded, your original was your one and only post here, which smacks of the spammers we’ve been getting in large numbers for the past several weeks.

Please don’t let this thread sour you on this forum. We really do try to help people with actual car problems.

To the OP: The experts on this site ARE friendly and helpful, but they are feeling put upon by these frequent queries about magic fuel economizers, especially “water for gas”. Many of those postings look like they are shills promoting the product. A few well-intentioned questioners are getting flamed because of the experts’ frustration.

To all: A little while ago Cappy228 responded to the same question (maybe about a different product):

http://community.cartalk.com/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&clean=1&search_keywords=hydrogen+water+hho&search_terms=all&search_forum=&sort_by=time&sort_dir=DESC&x=0&y=0

read these, then let us know what you think.

It would be nice if the site could force the “water for gas” questioners to look at that collection first, but I would not want to burden the Webmaster with that task (and I don’t know enough Webology to know how hard it is to do).

So maybe the regular responders could keep that link handy, and politely respond with something like, “It’s a scam. Take a look at this… And know that the best way to inprove your fuel mileage is to drive more gently.”

After all, even if some of the posters are shills, some of them are well meaning, if lacking in knowledge. That’s why they ask you experts.

Bebsbabe, isn?t it amazing that none of these comedians have their own show in Vegas? How can someone speak with authority on something they haven?t tried? I have looked at the sites and they seem helpful, but, it?s like anything else that is new - is there a downside, can other problems crop up, has it been tested long-term? Those are just some of the considerations. I like to try new things, but, I am not sure I would try this on my car just yet. Some things you can do are installing a K&N air filter, change spark plugs to Bosch Platinum +2 (about $2 at the WalMart, use Mobil 1 synthetic oil, add a less restrictive exhaust such as IMCO or Thrush, etc. These are things I have done and have picked up almost 5 mpg and more power, but, not everybody wants to go through this stuff. And, all these products mentioned have websites where you can check out customer testimonials, just like the water for fuel sites.

The problem is how long it will take to recoup the purchase price of these items, even they are actually responsible for your improvement in fuel economy (the spark plugs and K&N filter almost definitely did NOT contribute in any measurable way).

The “water for fuel” bunk defies the laws of physics. Why would any of us throw our money away on it? You are certainly welcome to do so. Customer testimonials are no substitute for scientific testing.

I have an aluminum hat. My ex gave it to me. She said it would protect me from lightening strikes when I got caught in the rain on my aluminum mountain bike.

See that wasn’t hard. Thank you all for you legitimate replies. I am a real person, using this site for the first time, not a spammer. I listen to “Car Talk” often and have learned quite a lot about cars and what to watch out for. Thank you “galaxybeing” for your help. I have looked at my engine and the spark plugs are relatively easy to get to, I will try the Bosch and the air filter. I bought an SUV when the economy was good, gas was cheap, and my check book was fat. I love my SUV, it has allowed me to see a lot of America’s beauty and I have made great memories as a result. I have been places in this great country of ours that a Prius would not have made it to, so I have no regrets. I got excited to hear about Brown’s Gas, thought I could get back on the road.

Believe me when I say I’ve taken my Civic more places than most people take their SUVs.

bebsbabe

Since it appears that you are an actual “innocent”, rather than the spammers who infest this site with promotions for their scam/faux gas-saving products, I apologize for my assumption that you were one of those spammers. In case you are not aware of it, we get at least one or two spam posts regarding this exact scam product each day, and most of us are very weary of this tripe.

That being said, Bosch spark plugs will only improve your gas mileage if your current spark plugs were already due for replacement. And, if that is that case, then ANY replacement spark plug will improve your gas mileage. There is no magic to the Bosch plugs, and, in fact, several people on this forum have reported that their engine did not run as well on the Bosch plugs as on the OEM plugs. If your spark plugs are due for replacement, I suggest that you use the makes specified in your Owner’s Manual.

As to the K & N air filter, while it might improve your engine’s power output slightly at full throttle, it is not likely to improve your gas mileage. (And, of course, if you are interested in better gas mileage, you will be avoiding full throttle operation of your vehicle anyway) And, once you factor in the cost of that filter, you will probably be in the hole, so to speak.

And then, there is the possibility of damage to your Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) from the oil with which you have to treat the K & N filter. Several people on this forum have reported mechanical problems from using a K & N filter, as a result of inadvertant "over"oiling of that filter. Do you really want to risk having to replace the MAF sensor or any other components because you installed an after-market device?

Your best gas mileage will result from judicious use of the gas pedal, proper tire inflation, and proper maintenance. There are no miracle solutions, at least not yet.

Most of the people touting the water for gas thing should not be considered legitimate sources of expert information on this subject. Truthfully, we shouldn’t be included, either. None of us has researched the subject, but I agree with the others that express skepticism. There are some university research projects looking into ways to extract hydrogen from water economically, but I am not aware of any that are ready for market. There was one discussed in last Saturday’s paper - right next to the Car Talk column. The researcher recalled that an alloy of aluminum and gallium generated hydrogen when it came in contact with water. It was just a curiosity when he first saw it, but he is now trying to determine if it is possible to use gallium-doped aluminum nodules as a method of converting water to hydrogen for fuel. If it works, it’s years away.

Nice to hear from an intelligent person, Bebsbabe. You also want to use Tier 2 gasoline for your vehicle. Tier 2 gasoline is the gasoline sold at company stations, such as, Mobil, Shell, Exxon, Sunoco, etc., rather than independents, which usually sell Tier 1 gasoline, which is inferior to Tier 2. Check out Car Talk’s site for a detailed explanation for Tier 1 and Tier 2 gasolines. You could experience improved performance and mpg with Tier 2 fuels, as well. Also, Andrew Totollos, who has his own TV show called, Tricked Out, on DIY Network, recommends K&N type filters for more power. More power from the same amount of fuel translates to increased miles pg, if you drive the same. Best wishes.

recommends K&N type filters for more power. More power from the same amount of fuel translates to increased miles pg, if you drive the same. Best wishes.

It will mean more power for very few cars and many people have reported damaging they MAF because of them. Just a little too much oil when cleaning them and there goes an expensive MAF. Too little and you get poor filtration.