Converting Engine to Run on Water

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with or knowledge of using a conversion kit to make my car run on water. I was looking for ways to improve my gas mileage on the internet and came across advertisements for these kits.

I want to buy one, but I don’t know anything about them. Are they safe for car, do they work, etc…?

Thanks in advance for any info.

This is the latest scam. We did a long thread on this one just recently.

Don’t waste your cash.

Stanley built a car that ran on water many years ago.

SCAM

but feel free to spend your money.

Oh God! Here we go again with this bizarre nonsense!

If you use the search function at the top of the page, you can do a search for the…maybe 10 or so…posts on this very topic just within the last couple of months.

However, if you wish, I will save you the time of doing a search by telling you that this type of product is a scam based on a pseudo-science theory that most high school physics students would be able to recognize as a fraud. Save your money.

C’mon kerryk . . . don’t post this stuff here . . OK? Rocketman

OK, I get it!! Are there any legitimate products on the market that will help improve fuel economy?

Thanks! Oh, and please try not to make me feel so stupid! Thanks Again!

Stanley built a car that used gas and kerosene to heat water to move a car. Specifically the car used water to convert the heat energy of the gasoline and kerosene to mechanical energy in the motor.

Proper maintenance, including tuneups and maintaining proper tire pressure, coupled with proper driving habits, are the best and cheapest way to improve fuel economy.

A little common sense would have been good.

If there were a real product, it would have been built into every car a long time ago. Car manufacturers are not stupid.

Careful driving can make a big increase in mileage. Don’t accelerate heavily from stops. Anticipate a red light or stop and slow down as you approach. Drive slower (gas consumption goes up as the square of speed).

Keep your car in good shape. Keep the tire pressure on the high side. Use small cars. If your car requires premium gas, use it. Keep it aerodynamic, ie, avoid roof racks, open windows.

Thanks for responding. At least not all posters with these questions are flunkies of the scam companies.

The single biggest change possible is your personal driving style. Slowing down and slow acieration will do more than any mechanical changes you can make short of buying a different car, assuming your car does not need maintenance or repair.

Or course there are the extreme ways of increasing mileage…

buy a new smaller car.
swap to a smaller engine.
remove all excess weight from your car, back seat, spare tire, AC
never fill gas tank beyond 1/3

The “Stanley” reply was sarcastic…

As stated already, tire pressure, engine maintenance, and driving style are the keys to good mileage regardless of make and model of automobile. Hang a small pendant to match your karma from the inside rearview mirror on a 6 to 8 inch string and try to drive without it moving from vertical.

kerry, you must be new here. There have been several - many - posts here recently concerning the question you asked. Some of us are a bit short on patience at times, me included. These devices are not going to help you increase your gas mileage much, and could decrease it. Some of these devices have been tested by reputable organizations that found they provided no help or decreased mileage.

If you want to get off gas, try wood chips. Wood chip systems have been around since the 40’s and can be made from a couple garbage cans. Very simple, but you need to start them up 20 minutes before you drive. Lots on the internet.

kerryk, I hope that you have thick skin and do not regret asking your question and will come back to Car Talk with more questions.

The devices that you refer to use electricity to separate water into oxygen and hydrogen. The hydrogen is then introduced into the engine and is burned to make power along with gasoline. The problem is that it will require more power to run the alternator to make the extra needed power for water separation than the extra power produced the engine from the hydrogen burned. The overall process is inefficient and can be no other way. There is enough truth in the approach to give scam artists something to work with.

That’s right, but it’s not just the efficiency that makes this technically unfeasible. Take a look at the sheer volume of hydrogen you would have to produce in order to have any measurable effect on the engine’s power output. These systems produce miniscule volumes of hydrogen compared to the cylinder volume and what would be required to have a noticeable impact on the power output. Here’s a fantastic summary on the entire topic I found some time back that explains these issues in layman’s terms- http://mb-soft.com/public2/hydrogen.html defintely a must read for anyone sucked into the hype surrounding these gimmick devices…

kerryk… don’t take the insults personally.

Here is what happens on this board… someone will post a question like yours but their only purpose is to draw attention to a web site in hopes of selling a product. Then the poster never responds to any questions, so we know it was just a troll. So when we see a question like yours many just assume that it is a troll.

So if you are someone who knows nothing about cars and it was a legitimate question then on my behalf… sorry. These products don’t do a thing increase MPG.