Used All-Terrain Tires

And about an inch taller in diameter. Your speedometer and odometer will be off slightly, they’ll read about ~3.6% low, effective gearing will also be changed slightly, but not to the point where you’d consider regearing.

Unless, of course, a previous owner put smaller than OE tires on the truck. He would need a build sheet to see what the truck came with. Or maybe the door jamb sticker has only one size listed.

Circumference difference is trivial. I would worry about that. Less than an inch, so less than 1/2 inch on each side, again I wouldn’t worry about it.

There is plenty of room, P275/60R20 tires were available on those trucks.

I have the previous generation Ram 1500 with 265/75R17 tires, no clearance problems. I corrected the speedometer via a utility in the ABS module.

3 Likes

I see. The height is the same percentage of the width, but if the width is bigger, it changes the total height as well.

Yeah, the sticker in the door is pretty unambiguous. 245/70R17

Would it be the same offset? I guess the total width is meaningless if the offset is way different.

Offset might be a problem. Get the specifications for your rims and for the rims you are purchasing. If significantly different, have the tires mounted on your rims if the rim width is the same.

Good Grief !! 47 posts when a trip to Wal Mart and purchase 4 inexpensive tires of the correct size for a truck that is not used much and has had problems and be done with it.

3 Likes

I think that the OP should be careful about which tire retailer he chooses. A recent survey of Consumer Reports readers regarding satisfaction with tire retailers yielded essentially the same results as their previous survey on that topic, and Walmart didn’t do very well. :wink:

The only tire retailer ranked lower than Walmart is Mavis, which–unfortunately–dominates the retail tire market in my area. Here are the rankings, from top to bottom-of-the-barrel:

|Les Schwab Tire Centers
|Tirerack.com
|Independent Retailers
|Discount Tire Centers
|Costco
|America’s Tire
|Discount Tire (discounttiredirect.com)
|Discount Tire and Automotive
|Kal Tire
|Amazon.com
|Car Dealerships
|Goodyear Auto Service
|Firestone Complete Auto Care
|BJ’s
|Sam’s Club
|Big O Tires
|Town Fair Tire Centers
|Canadian Tire Corp
|NTB Tire & Service Centers
|Walmart
|Mavis Discount Tire

That may have more to do with the install and service than the tires themselves, though. So, tirerack would definitely do good in that regard since they don’t actually do installs (I don’t think they do?).

I bought my tires at wal mart and had them installed at an independent tire store. Best of both worlds!

I wasn’t sure I trusted the wal mart guys to get the balancing right, etc., although I’m sure they probably get it right most of the time.

They have “affiliated” installers in all areas. When you order your tires, you specify whether you want them shipped to your home, or to a local installer that you select from their website. In my case, their closest local installer is the Shell station located about 2 1/2 miles from my house, but there are plenty of others if I didn’t like that place.

My approach is to buy Michelins from Costco, when they are having a sale. The price would be hard to beat, especially when you consider that they include a road hazard warranty and also free lifetime rotation and balancing in the installation price.

1 Like

They just moved into our area. I saw the first one about a month ago. Never heard of them around here before.

I buy from a local tire shop in Nashua NH. It’s a hole in the wall that’s setup in one of the old mill buildings built almost 200 years ago. Excellent prices and they know what they’re doing. I don’t have to worry about some young kid at these large chains cross threading the lug-nuts.

Right. I think my local retailer was a Firestone…which would move tirerack down that list, at least for the install portion. I have ordered from tirerack and had the tires installed at the same independent dealer that installed the wal mart tires, though. That shop will pretty much do anything tire related as long as there is money to be made, as long is it isn’t something unsafe like mounting bald used tires or something like that. They will, however, mount decent quality used tires, as I’ve had them do that too.

The tire chain that used to dominate this area was STS. They were somewhat shady (this was the chain that “pushed” outdated tires of the wrong load range on my unsuspecting friend). A few years ago, Mavis bought most (or maybe all) of the STS locations. So, a somewhat shady chain was bought out by another somewhat shady chain.

I think that Mavis originated in upstate NY, but it appears that they are now expanding rapidly.

Mavis started in Mt Vernon NY which is north of NYC. People who live in NYC consider anything north of them to be upstate. People like me who grew up in the Syracuse area consider Mt Vernon downstate.

I first saw Mavis Tire when visiting family back in NY many years ago. They bought out Cole Muffler and tire.

Yup!
SUNY’s Downstate Medical Center is located in Brooklyn.
SUNY’s Upstate Medical Center is located in Syracuse.

Just to transgress Staying in Brooklyn the end of August wit a couple of layover days, any highlights? Stayed in NYC before, can skip times square and the boat tours.

just be careful. the cops have stand down orders coming from the top. and the criminals know it. hate to here anything bad happen to you.

I love Katz’s Deli if you don’t mind taking the subway to the Lower East Side.

1 Like

The width is 20 mm wider. The height difference is 70% of that which is 14 mm, just over 1/2". Increase in ride height is half that, around 1/4".

Offset is likely the same or very close.