Used All-Terrain Tires

The OP did not say if his truck is 4WD or not. If it’s just 2WD, then two matched sets of tires (front and rear) would be fine. I still don’t recommend buying used tires, because they often provide worse cost per remaining year of life than budget-branded new tires would…and the new tires come with a warranty.

If you are on a budget, there are cheaper AT tires like the Hankook Dynapros, General Grabbers, and Atturo. Try to check out 4wheelonline here— wheels and tires. They seem to have good pricing.

1 Like

AT tires are NOT for 2wd vehicles. He also said he’s looking for a more aggressive looking tire…So he only wants the rear tires to look more aggressive?

In the past, when I was out of work a lot and broke, I bought $200-$300 dollar cars that I did nor expect to last more than 2 years, used tires made sense. Tires, like batteries age slower in our cool cloudy climate. My 1995 riding mower still has it’s original tires, as does out churches 1995 John Deere that cuts our 2.8 acre property.

Huh? A 4WD pickup looks exactly the same as the 2WD version, except that it might have decals or mudflaps which say “4WD” or “4X4” on them. Some people do put fancy wheels and/or tires, and even a lift kit on a 2WD truck.

3 Likes

When I bought the truck, the seller changed the fluids. He didn’t tighten the drain plug on the transfer case. So it was empty for a while. I caught it before it completely exploded and it works in a pinch, but it makes me nervous so I rarely use it. The truck has some issues. That’s why I’m not keen on putting a bunch of money into tires.

Then find the cheapest tire you can find at your local tire store or even Walmart and forget how they look . If you decide to sell it new regular street tires will appeal to more people .

2 Likes

So they look the same…they surely don’t act the same. You’re making the assumption this ISN’T a 4wd truck. Show me it isn’t 4wd.

Like others mentioned, I’d check Facebook buy/sell/trade section and Craigslist. Craigslist isn’t as good as it used to be, it seems to me, but you can still find some decent stuff on there. It’s where I bought my truck. Seems like there’s more activity on Facebook, if you get on there. I avoid FB, myself. When I set up an account a bunch of people who I don’t want to be friends with sent me friend requests, so I deleted the account!

If you want some fairly aggressive tires, you’ll probably have to find used ones if you want to get them cheap. Or, you can get pretty mild AT’s like I got for less than $500 new. I was quoted $8 or $900 for some aggressive Toyo AT’s, so I went with the less “sexy” Goodyear Wranglers.

1 Like

Not really. The 4WD model almost always sits several inches higher, and typically has larger tires from the factory. The most obvious difference would be the 2WD Tacoma and the 4WD version. the visual differences are very noticeable.

1 Like

The problem with aggressive-tread tires is that regardless of their actual ability off-road, they’re going to be loud and irritating on pavement. Personally, I want to hear my radio a lot more than I want to hear my tires buzzing. But that’s just me. I tend to avoid modifications to my vehicles that result in a less pleasant driving experience.

If you still want the off-road look, then I agree with the others. Go to a used tire dealer and tell them what you’re looking for. Let them do the legwork.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t want huge knobby mud tires. Honestly, guys who drive around with those just look like morons. That doesn’t even appeal to me. I want ALL terrain tires, where “ALL” includes driving on pavement. I read this on Discount Tire Direct:

“Many people enjoy all-terrain tires because they have a more aggressive look with little or minimal sacrifice in noise, comfort, or longevity.”

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/learn/tire-types

That’s what kind of got me started on this whole crazy idea. It sounds like it is possible to straddle that line.

I had Mud grips on all 4 for my 2wd toyota truck, worked out great for me.

Yep, you can straddle the line. You just compromise one way or the other. The more aggressive the tread, the worse the road noise, and generally the more aggressive tires don’t wear as well. The less aggressive tires will be better on the road but have less traction off road. That’s true for AT tires too. They make pretty aggressive AT’s and they make AT tires that just look basically like a regular highway tire with deeper tread.

Personally, I think aggressive tires look better, but I’ve already done that in the past. For me, the looks aren’t worth putting up with the constant roaring. But, I will put up with a little noise for the improved looks and off road traction when I need it (which is pretty rare, honestly). The tires I bought came standard on some new 4wd’s a few years ago, so the noise isn’t too bad. They do at least look like an AT tire though, rather than a highway tire with “AT” stamped on the sidewall.

I think most half ton 4wd’s are virtually the same ride height as the 2wd version nowadays. 4wd’s used to sit higher, but I’m not so sure that’s the case anymore. I tried to look up ground clearance for new half ton trucks of a given model, 2wd vs 4wd, but I couldn’t really find what I was looking for. I do remember the Dodge dealer talking about “common ride height” on 2wd and 4wd Rams back in about 2009 when I was perusing their inventory.

You are right about the Tacoma, though. Except for the 2wd “prerunner”, pretty identical visually to the 4wd.

GM was making a “Z71” 2wd version there for a while. I test drove one. I though it was a remarkable deal until I figured out it was 2wd!

Man, if the 4x4 Tundra sits higher than my 2wd, I’d need a trampoline to get in the thing.

1 Like

I think they’re coming out with retractable trampolines on the 2022 Tundra.

You’re right, though. 2007, when they redesigned the Tundra, was kind of the beginning of the big ass half ton truck era that we seem to be in. They all got “swole” around that time. A coworker has a newer Tundra. It makes my 2005 Sierra look like a…Tacoma in comparison!

2 Likes

I found a guy selling tires and rims from a 2017 (which is a lot newer). Not sure if that would fit, though. I have 245/70R17 and his are 265/70R17. I think it’s the same bolt pattern, but it is a little wider. It might hit something when I turn. Or maybe I’m being overly cautious. I dunno.

265’s will fit a 4wd. That’s the standard size on most when sold new.

They will fit. no problem. As @Scrapyard-John said, that is the standard size for the 4x4 Ram 1500s of that vintage. That’s what my '07 had.The bolt pattern didn’t change until they went to 6 lug wheels recently.