What tire ideas in today's market for a passenger car?

I might need all 4 tires soon.
I do not see many B3G1 offer anymore - even if there is, it is for highly priced tires.

The tires seems to be Walmart tires from prior owner - it did 20k and still going - perhaps it doesn’t wear much.
Walmart seems to have good selection with also unknown brands from $47!

Any recommendation for this car?

Perhaps this car doesn’t hold the road as much as my other cars - or the current tire is aging - just a thought! Maybe there is another tire that might hold better?

Any tips and recommendations?

Westlake good - American made or better Q&A?
General Exclaim HPX A/S?

Go to tirerack.com, use their selector guide. Tap in the qualities you want, then you will see the options available.
In my case, wet traction is top priority.
In the case of Walmart, other responders in this forum have indicated a tire from Walmart, though with a brand name such as Goodyear is not a top line tire from them, but a cheaper line.
As far as buy three tires, shop around you may find a dealer, others may offer cash back or other incentives.
Can not imagine any quality tire going for $47.

1 Like

I live in the south where we get a and lot of rain I have had dependable wet road handling with Goodyear and Michelins.

1 Like

You generally get what you pay for. The cheapest tires are not the best tires. Those 4 gooey rubber bits are the only thing between you and death.

Westlake tires are a Chinese brand and very cheap tires. I, personally, would never buy them.

As others have posted, buy what fits your needs best. I don’t need all-season tires. Where I live there is only summer. And it rains in summer, a lot, so wet weather traction is key.

2 Likes

Agree same here.

Again agree.

2 Likes

Have you seen this?

My current tires are Mastercraft (except one) - Ford owns it?
Tread measurement are 4.

Do I have time till reaching tread of 2? We only drive 3k in a year. I am in Northern California.

America Tire was acting like a tire policeman - when I go for tire pressure check, they scan the VIN and scan the treads - unusual. When I asked he said they will send me a report card - I never received one.

Mastercraft is owned by Cooper who is now owned by Goodyear. Ford doesn’t own a tire company.

When the wear bars are even with the tread, the tire are no longer legal to use. If the tires slip more on wet roads than they used to, they have aged out and should be replaced even if they still have tread.

3 Likes

Anyone can comment on
General Exclaim HPX A/S?

General is owned by Continental. I do not know where they make these tires?

“Today, the company still produces high-quality tires in the USA. In fact, it currently has a factory in Mt. Vernon, Illinois that manufacturers over three million tires each year. However, in order to serve its international customers better, General Tire also has several factories located throughout Europe.”

A 10 second internet search says General tires are made in the US in one of 5 states.

I meant to ask where Exclaim HPX is made?

Do we have a case against General Exclaim HPX?

Somewhere in the US is where it is made. Do you want the exact coordinates?

I have never owned General tires.

Thanks @Mustangman
Negative reviews on Walmart are yukky for General.

Maybe I go wih Brigestone or Goodyear.

My short list - appreciate your input please - so many choices and confusing:

• Kumho Solus TA31 205/55R16 91H All Season Touring Tire
  • Goodyear Reliant All-Season 205/55R16 91V All-Season Tire
  • Goodyear Eagle RS-A P205/55R16 89H BSW
  • Kumho Solus HA31 205/55R16 91 H Tire
  • Hankook Ventus V2 Concept2 H457 All Season 205/55R16 94V XL Passenger Tire
  • Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max All Season 205/55R16 91H Passenger Tire

I have owned Kumho Solus tires on my 2004 Corolla, and on my Caravans. Great tires at a good price!

1 Like

Do u remember if it was TA31 or HA31?

No idea. And the model number might have been different back then. The last set of Kumho tires I purchased was in 2015 for my 1995 Dodge Caravan.

What did tirerack say about your choices? You are asking others to do your homework.
You say you drive about 3,000 miles per year, your tires will age out before they wear out.
“Northern California” covers a lot of territory, probably an “all seasons” tire would work for you, unless you head east to the mountains when/where there is snow.

2 Likes

I always consider the info at tirerack.com and Consumer Reports more credible than what a few random people on the internet have to say.

4 Likes

I use general on my Pontiac. Don’t remember the line but about $600 for four. I use Goodyear weather ready on the Acura for about $1300 for four. Be careful with Walmart tires. I have been warned that the Goodyear tires from Walmart are not the same as what you would get at a dealer.

2 Likes