My Cyberonic/Sprint ISP started working better, slow but better, then I got a new card in the mail and instructions to return the old card. My old card was immediately disabled and all the old problems began anew. But after a couple of weeks, things improved, so they sent me another card. This one did not work. It turns out that I was never getting Sprint service directly, I was always on roaming in spite of using a high gail direction antenna and ultra low loss coax. Sprint decided that I could no longer use roaming and that is why the last card would not work. So they quit me.
I had been going to the local library everyday and using their wireless and Comcast connection. That worked good for me except for the 20 mile round trip drive. Today I got the new Wildblue Exceed service and so far, it is working as advertised. My past experience has been to expect about 1/3 to 1/4 of what they claim but so far, this is probably 80% or more of what they claim, or about 2x to 3x of what I expected. I hope they don’t oversell the service and slow it down the way HughesNet did. The tech said that the new satellite is courtesy of the feds and should not ever see full capacity. BTW, HughesNet is getting a similar satellite in the near future so that should solve their problems.