UPDATE!Nissan NP200 gears get stuck and clutch goes soft but after awhile everything works again ,so the problem comes and goes

Hi

I was driving ,all of the sudden ,the clutch went soft and i was partially stuck in 3rd gear ,i completely step on the clutch and got it to go into neutral ,and i parked on the side of the road ,tried changing gears ,while engaging clutch ,but gears cant move and are stuck ,i then step on clutch twice more ,and all the pressure completely disappeared ,as in the pedal was able to swing back and fourth with no pressure.

Pleae help.

Guys please help ,any input will be appreciated

If you are not mechanically inclined have it towed to a shop and expect to spend a good amount of money. Also here in the USA I have no idea what a NP200 is.

Really , I did not know that ,Google it and see what it looks like but , Judging by the information provided ,can you give me a broad diagnoses of what the problem could be

Your clutch has failed. It could be the pressure plate, it could be the clutch master or slave cylinders. There is no way to tell from your description. A failed pressure plate will be expensive, the master or slave, less so.

Based on the sudden total failure, and the total free play in the clutch pedal, you may have sprung a hydraulic leak in the clutch release system.
In short, the master or slave cylinder probably blew a gasket.

3 Likes

I think this is a relatively small work van, with a transversely mounted 4 cylinder . . .

I agree it sounds like a clutch hydraulic problem

download

Hi ,so this is quite an expensive fix

Depending on what you consider expensive it may be or may not.

As I said, compared to removing the transmission to repair the pressure plate, this will be cheap.

If it is a simple leak, and I’d bet lunch that it is, the only thing that might make this expensive is if half the car needs to be disassembled to access the slave. I don’t know the vehicle or have access to a repair database from which to get a “repair time” estimate, but perhaps someone here who does could chime in.

If the slave is readily accessible, the repair should be downright affordable.
NOTE: if either the master or slave is blown, it may be a good idea to repair the other end too. Generally if one goes the other isn’t far behind.

Make sure the clutch master cylinder plastic bottle is properly filled. If the fluid level is low this symptom could occur.

If the fluid level is low, where did it go . . . ?!

Definitely not a normal situation

Hi Guys Thanks for all the replies.

The problems seems to come and go ,sorry for the first thread when i said the clutch is completely gone ,this was because the cable connected on the clutch was disconnected.

But my gears still get stuck and then pedal goes soft occasionally and at random.

Cables don’t just fall off unless there is something wrong. Like being stretched. Maybe you can fill in more details about why the cable came off and what you did to correct it. Perhaps it is not properly adjusted?

1 Like

This is how it came off (I was driving ,all of the sudden ,the clutch went soft and i was partially stuck in 3rd gear ,i completely step on the clutch and got it to go into neutral ,and i parked on the side of the road ,tried changing gears ,while engaging clutch ,but gears cant move and are stuck ,i then step on clutch twice more ,and all the pressure completely disappeared ,as in the pedal was able to swing back and fourth with no pressure.)

How i was able to fix it ,i looked on top of the pedal and saw a cable hanging loose and i saw the hole where it was suppose to be on ,i connected it and tied a cable tie to it and it hasn’t become as loose as it was when the cable disconnected while i was driving ,i’'m just experiencing the problem whereby the gears get stuck and my clutch goes soft ,i am still able to change ,if i use a little bit of force it slides in.

Cables don’t just pop out like that unless something is worn or the cable has stretched enough to have slack. I have never seen a cable system that didn’t have an adjustment mechanism to account for this. Certainly, yours needs to be adjusted- or, if there is no adjustment, something needs to be replaced to restore the proper engagement of the clutch to pedal travel. Look at the top of the pedal and the arm on the trans. I bet there is some threaded rod with locknut arrangement for adjusting the clutch engagement. This may be all that is needed however, after a long time of being only partially engage-able, the clutch may be getting worn as well…

1 Like

That’s HOW it came off.
TT was saying that there has to be a reason WHY it came off. And I agree with him. There had to be a reason. Allow me to respectfully suggest that an experienced local mechanic is in order.

1 Like

Maybe the cable is sticking. Remove it and give it a lube, or replace the cable , that is where I’d start. I haven’t heard of clutch cables in years btw. Mostly all hydraulic now. What year is your NP200? My 1970’s VW Rabbit had a cable operated clutch and I replaced it a couple of times b/c it broke. When that happened the pedal would go to the floor and you couldn’t shift the gears. It was a showstopper, a no-go situation, so suggest to address this with due speed. Fortunately for me it always happened in my driveway. The good news is if it isn’t a hydraulic operated clutch, no worries about the clutch hydraulic system. Should be an easy fix. Make sure the clutch pedal return spring is in place too. That tends to fall off once in a while on my Corolla.

Not in my world, George

The large trucks in our fleet all use cables