Turning signal switch broken, how do I replace it?

I have a 1994 ford ranger and the turning signal lever switch on the left of the steering wheel which was fully functional for a bit, was iffy yesterday and now only works for twisting to get the wipers on. It’s completely useless for turning on the turning signals (left or right) though. I knee’d the crap out of it by accident after I got it back from Midas the other day. I could get the signals on if I worked it into the perfect spot but then it would fall out and not work again so now im here. I can’t find any tutorials on how to replace a switch on the pre 2000’s fords if anyone could just link me a good tutorial or give me some help you’d be a life saver. My hazards still work for the same bulbs my turning signals are on so I’m jumping straight to replacing the switch.

Typical multi-function switch replacement on a Ford of this vintage.

Tester

Thank you!

The hard part is usually getting the steering wheel off and back on in same position. Not that difficult, but requires a special puller tool. And procedure info on what parts to remove (& how) before you can attach the puller. Be sure to mark the SW orientation with respect to shaft before removing. Good idea to disconnect battery negative before doing electrical work

Do not remove the steering wheel, watch the video.

2 Likes

No it isn’t, steering wheel doesn’t need to come off.

3 screws for the column cover, 2 screws for the switch, 3 electrical plugs and it’s off

Should be able to do whole job in 45 minutes

3 Likes

Was George guessing again or just responding to a thread to satisfy his need to be noticed ?

1 Like

A diyer has to remove the steering wheel for that job on quite a few car designs, my Corolla for example. But no need to remove steering wheel on the Ford Ranger? Good idea, congrats to Ford designers.

1 Like

Turn signal lever never fails on Toyota.

Your Corolla is an outdated design. Chrysler began using side mounted multi-function switches in 1990, most manufactures phased out the old style turn signal switches during the 1990’s.

1 Like

That’s a good thing imo, what with the steering wheel air-bag you’d otherwise have to deal with in many current designs. @Tester here posts photos of multifunction switches fairly often, and usually they appear to be the type that would require the steering wheel removed. No dispute that a 30 year old Corolla is 30 years old.

Funny update I took the wheel apart and went to hook it up and the dickwad who sold the truck to me spliced something in the wiring so now when i turn on my right signal my wipers go up lol.

Edit your post , this is an open Forum so your description of the previous owner violates the rules.

1 Like