Posessed turnsignal

I have a 2001 GMC jimmy whose turn signal flasher continues to click regardless if the turn signal or hazard lights are turned on. The turn signal and hazard lights work correctly but when you turn them off the flasher continues to click sometimes fast, sometimes slow, and sometimes it will stop completely for awhile. The one thing that seems to affect it is what the car is doing. When braking it will typically stop and may even remain off until you hit the gas and then it will start clicking again. Also while it is clicking by itself the lights themselves are NOT flashing at all the flasher unit itself is just making noise. When you turn the turn signal or hazard lights on everything works the way it is supposed to.

Are the bulbs OK,and their contacts
(Both front and rear)?

This won’t be a bulb issue. It’s either the multi-function switch, the electronic module with the flasher relay(s) in it, or the wiring in between the two. The switch seems most likely. Unplug it, and if the clicking stops, its probably the problem.

Thanks for the help. is the electronic module the same as the flasher unit itself? I already tried changing the flasher unit with no luck. Where can I unplug the switch the bottom of the steering column or is it somewhere else?

I never checked the actual contacts but the lights all seem to be working properly

Yes to the flasher being the electronic module.
I don’t know GM well enough to answer if there is somewhere besides the switch itself that you could disconnect it at.
Can you wiggle the turn signal switch and stop or start the clicking?

I have tried wiggling the switch before and it does not seem to do anything. I will try to unplug the switch but I have to wait a day or two because of the cold and it will probably take me a minute to figure out how to get to the switch to unplug it. Thanks for the info.

I am currently having this same issue with my 2004 Oldsmobile Alero. How did your story end?

I had the same problem with a 2000 S-10 Blazer about 4 years ago. The multifunction switch (turn signal, cruise, wipers, etc) had to be replaced. The Blazer had a recall relating to the hazard function of the switch, but the recall had been done by the previous owner.

Spraying some CRC Electrical Contact into the base of the switch at the steering column stopped the clicking for a few days and verified the switch was the problem. The switch costs about $180 to $200 and figure on a few hours of labor to install.

Check the NHSTA website for a safety recall for your model and year. The attached notes on the recall for my 2000 Blazer included the multifunction switch installation instructions. I installed the switch using the instructions and probably saved a few hundred dollars. The procedure should be nearly the same for the Jimmy.

http://www.safercar.gov/

Here is the recall notice for 2000 - 2001 Jimmys

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsummary.cfm?rcl_campaign_id=01V364000&prod_id=91409&moduletype=VEHICLE&make=GMC&model=JIMMY&veh_model_year=2001&searchtype=DrillDown

This link lists all the documentation, including the installation instructions, for the recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/documentList.do?docId=01V364&docType=RCL&fromPublic=true

GM multfunction switches in the early 2000s seem to have a higher rate of failure across all the GM makes.

Try the Contact Cleaner first, it’s a lot easier and cheaper than the switch. Check if a dealer will replace the switch under the recall.

Good luck,

Ed B.

MayNayz84

I had to replace that whole assembly (wiper, cruise, hazard light, turn signal stalk) It was not a terrible job but the thing comes with enough wires attached to it that it looks like spaghetti. There is a giant wiring harness near the brake pedal with a bolt running through it. Undo the bolt and it will pull apart. I had to take the dash panel off the cover on the steering cover and then I needed like a torx socket for one screw but a small regular socket worked. I think you are supposed to remove the airbag to do this but I used a low profile ratcheting screwdriver and had just enough clearance to get all the screws out and pull it off. I would recommend disconnecting the battery before starting this job just in case. The price of the switch depends on how much stuff is connected to it. I have had good luck getting good prices on amazon.com. You will want to allow yourself a couple of good hours to do this. Hope this helps.