CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Turn signal and hazard lights on nissan sentra not working

The turn signals and hazard lights on my nissan sentra are working some times and all of a sudden they stop working. The problem is occuring almost every day. Do you know what could be the problem?.

What year Nissan? I would be looking for a relay for a start. What happens to get them working again? (left alone all night?

On most cars both of these functions are controlled by a single gadget called the flasher unit. It seems as though yours has quit, a common problem on any car. Locate the unit and you can replace it yourself. It simply plugs in. And, it’s cheap.

wIt’s a 1997 nissan sentra. When I start in the morning it’s working. But after a while it stops working. Some times while running if I leave the turn signal on after a while it starts working. So there is no definite pattern to it. I thought it’s only the turn signals. But yesterday when the turn signals are not working I tried the Hazards and it’s also not working.

Turned out it’s the flasher unit. I noticed that when I pulled the wires attached to the flasher it started working. But it only worked for a few days like that. So I replaced it and it’s working fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions.